Help › Forums

Aim Arc ~ Physics 101

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 14 2015 3:39 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 2:42 PM

"What is the best method utilizing the Aim Arc to squeeze the absolute maximum distance from any given favorable wind condition"?

For the sake of this question lets use a 20mph, 6-12 oclock, downwind scenario onto a flat landing area that we are about to *DING*. This will be challenging for me to get my point across so please bear with me. I'll go through what i've tried and would welcome any suggestions or thoughts.

#1. There are days I move my aim arc well past the range of my driver thinking I'll  just stretch it   W  A  Y   out and bash the !@#$ out of it.

#2.There are days I think if I hit the ball higher it will ride longer so those times I squeeze the aim arc to 240-ish and let her rip (my longest drive to date was on #5 at St A's using this method).

The confusing part is when using Method #2. as you look at the aim arc on the spacebar view it actually shrinks and becomes smaller thus producing a smaller overall arc. Consiquently if you stretch it out in Method #1 the arc becomes bigger and higher. This confuses me because of how I achieved my longest drive, as well as overall physics of hitting the ball higher into the wind for a longer ride.

I understand how on approach shots experimenting with the aim arc greatly effects the outcome of your shot but am a little confused on the subject of getting maximum distance off the tee.....

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 2:49 PM

Moving your aim has no influence other than directional aim, trajectory is determined by spin and power.

Doesn't matter if you are aimed 1" in front of you, or 600 yards, so long as they are in the same direction, the flight will be the same.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 2:53 PM

I don't think where you put the aim marker has anything to do with how high or low the ball goes.  If it does, that's news to me.

Top-spin, neutral-spin, or back-spin is another story.  Back-spin would make the ball stay in the air longer, where it can take advantage of the wind, but it would make the shot lose some of its roll.  Someone out there may know how to maximize the distance on their drive based on spin (and the wind,) but that person certainly isn't me.  I'll put spin on some of my drives to accomplish this or that, but I couldn't tell you what type of spin is best for pure distance.

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 2:57 PM

I understand ball spin effecting distance, but could have sworn on some uphill shots into the wind the ball stopping much quicker if  i pull the aim arc back a little bit and take advantage of the headwind.

thx for the comments

• terryntx
    56 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2015 7:07 AM

not trying to be a no it all, but your statement is absolutely false, the arc does influence the height of the shot, simply in practice hit one ball with low arc and one with high arc,,,,, end of story..

• stevietwotimes
    1,327 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2015 11:41 AM

ouch Terry your post is 5 years too late :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2015 12:44 PM

stevietwotimes:

ouch Terry, your post, your post. is 5 years. 5 years. too, two late :) :)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2015 1:35 PM

LOL, 5 yrs late "and" wrong...seems the delay wasn't due to 5 yrs of research, end of story LOL

• stevietwotimes
    1,327 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2015 2:43 PM

SweetiePie:

stevietwotimes:

ouch Terry, your post, your post. is 5 years. 5 years. too, two late :) :)

haha.. you've done me again sweetie, sweetie :) :)

• NorCalMega
    179 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2015 3:02 PM

I am often baffled by the resurrection of old posts, see more of it around here then other forums I frequent, but in my brief time year I believe this is the oldest resurrection I have come across...

• PAGES
RSS