Forums

Help › Forums

Pass the Insecticide please...

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:15 PM (4 replies)
  • Steveroo
    176 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:45 AM

Well,I'm kinda curious as to why with every "Improvement" the actual game becomes less and less FUN. The swing meter still sux, glitchy,unpredictable, and at times slow to respond leaving the avatar slowly jerking a swing and giving my vapor trail ball bouncing along with abrupt, and angular movement, and sometimes simply skipping several frames of action. I'm also wondering when I'm laying 2 yards out of a bunker, it says I'm IN it, and I have to play as if I'm "in the hole or trap".PLEASE quit adding new things and concentrate on what's NOT right.Fixing bugs should be priority 1 especially when you consider the folks that are paying for the pleasure of a good round by updating equipment.What used to be fun and challenging has become a frustrating drudge, and sure, I have the option of never playing again, but ,dammit, it WAS a wonderful thing, and could easily be that again with a tad more attention from the development staff.I used to brag up the site and encourage all my friends to sign up and have a great time, now I don't talk to anybody about it.Please get out the bug spray and kill all those pesky things!!!

• BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:59 AM

Unfortunately, I've seen this happen a lot in game development. Especially a "beta" release that kind of gets out of hand with the number of participants and such.

I'm not sure what it is, but it seems developers get ahead of themselves adding this-that-and-the-other new shiny  and bug fixes fall by the wayside until they're buried so deep in the code they become un-fixable.

I've been fortunate (...or unfortunate maybe?) to have been involved as a beta tester for quite a few games and software platforms over the years. With the exception of very very few, I've watched the same scenario play out.

It is very important from a developer's standpoint to keep adding new features to not only keep the interest level of their customer base up but that of their dev team as well and I understand this. But it also has to be tempered with restraint and careful attention has to be paid to bug-fixing along the way.

One bug may not be a show stopper but if you add up 5, 10, or 20+ your customer base will eventually stop the show for you.

WGT - Please do not fall into the trap I've seen so many other developers fall into.

• CaptainShank
    26 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 10:38 AM

BEARlyThere:

Unfortunately, I've seen this happen a lot in game development. Especially a "beta" release that kind of gets out of hand with the number of participants and such.

I'm not sure what it is, but it seems developers get ahead of themselves adding this-that-and-the-other new shiny  and bug fixes fall by the wayside until they're buried so deep in the code they become un-fixable.

I've been fortunate (...or unfortunate maybe?) to have been involved as a beta tester for quite a few games and software platforms over the years. With the exception of very very few, I've watched the same scenario play out.

It is very important from a developer's standpoint to keep adding new features to not only keep the interest level of their customer base up but that of their dev team as well and I understand this. But it also has to be tempered with restraint and careful attention has to be paid to bug-fixing along the way.

One bug may not be a show stopper but if you add up 5, 10, or 20+ your customer base will eventually stop the show for you.

WGT - Please do not fall into the trap I've seen so many other developers fall into.

Very well said and I completely agree... actually a little too well said for this forum.  Next time please dumb things up a bit.  Thank You

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 10:40 AM

Well stated BEAR,

None of us are sure of WGT's internal structure, but hopefully they can seperate these tasks into two integrated but different groups of programmers. Would be nice to have one group dedicated solely to addressing known bugs, and another that concentrates solely on new features and developments.

• BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:15 PM

LOL...Thank you Captain. There are plenty of dumb posts in me - especially the dumb question kind so that shouldn't be a problem. :-D

And thank you VHL.

You're right. None of us knows the internal structure at WGT. I think it would take a specific kind of personality to be a full-time bug killer. You'd have to be content knowing you did your job while the shiny-makers get all the glory...lol

I get worried though (from past experience) when I see bugs that are experienced by many (if not the majority) of people stay in the platform for extended periods of time.

After searching around and reading these forums...

I'm worried. :-(

RSS