Forums

Help › Forums

#2 at St. Andrews Right Pin Location.....

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 31 2010 4:31 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 4:23 PM

I was curious to ask  other legends now how they are playing #2 at SA when the pin is on the right. I used to love that pin location,  but now I find myself playing to the right and taking the 2 putt on purpose to save par. I have been burnt way to many times on that pin location after the changes. How about others?

• OwenCrew
    52 Posts
    Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:58 AM

This is a great question that I'm interested to hear the answers to. This pin position is the most frustrating for me on St. Andrews.

My current strategy is that I try to land the ball past the pin and a little to the left (on the up-slope) with full backspin. The ball sticks pretty well there and will often filter back towards the hole.

I will bail out to the right if I'm in the rough.

I'm curious to hear other strategies. No matter how you play the hole, par is a great score with this pin position (from the legend tees).

• OldBeachdog
    39 Posts
    Tue, Oct 26 2010 8:56 AM

I just hope that I can avoid a 3 putt.  No great strategies  :o)

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Tue, Oct 26 2010 10:00 AM

[quote="OwenCrew"].....My current strategy is that I try to land the ball past the pin and a little to the left (on the up-slope) with full backspin. The ball sticks pretty good there and will often filter back.

Absolute correct strategy for the approach shot. But don't leave it short into "death valley". Putting uphill, keeping it left side of the hole, is a real challenge. Not enough power to reach the top.....whamo ball trickles back down to putt again. Happen to anyone else?   

• mrenn29
    380 Posts
    Tue, Oct 26 2010 11:25 AM

oneputtdavid:

[quote="OwenCrew"].....My current strategy is that I try to land the ball past the pin and a little to the left (on the up-slope) with full backspin. The ball sticks pretty good there and will often filter back.

Absolute correct strategy for the approach shot. But don't leave it short into "death valley". Putting uphill, keeping it left side of the hole, is a real challenge. Not enough power to reach the top.....whamo ball trickles back down to putt again. Happen to anyone else?   

Agreed, it's really the only way to have a chance at bird.On a downwind you pretty much have to settle for par 99% of the time.You kind of have to imagine the pin is on that upslope in the back of the green every time.Hope this helps.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Oct 26 2010 4:59 PM

Unless i'm into the wind on #2 I'll always have between 100-115 yards, so for me it's a  wedge with full backspin.  If you land it a foot short of the hole it will check up and if you fly the pin, the backstop off the fringe will bring it back (occasionally)

• OwenCrew
    52 Posts
    Tue, Oct 26 2010 6:12 PM

KingOfTheCourse:

Unless i'm into the wind on #2 I'll always have between 100-115 yards, so for me it's a  wedge with full backspin.  If you land it a foot short of the hole it will check up and if you fly the pin, the backstop off the fringe will bring it back (occasionally)

Is this from the Legend tees? I find that unless the wind is with me, I'm hitting at least an 8 iron into this hole.

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Tue, Oct 26 2010 6:21 PM

Being short on this hole is an almost sure bogey.  It is VERY difficult to stop a putt anywhere near the hole when putting over the "big hump".  Coming up short becomes a definite possibility when hitting into the wind.  There is no way to roll the ball up to the pin.  The safe play is past the pin and even a chip or pitch from behind is far better than being short.  And no putt is easy, even near the pin.  This info is only true for legends....i thought the location was fairly easy before my legend status.

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Tue, Oct 26 2010 6:53 PM

The other option I go for sometimes, is to land on the right side of the green, so I have a decent, if long putt. That does depend on how good you think your putting is, but I prefer a long putt over a tricky pitch from just over the back of the green. If I think I can land it though I will go for it.

If you do go straight at the flag and land short, the best thing you can hope for is that the ball rolls back to the fringe, or even off the green. That way you do at least have a chance of playing a very delicate shot over the lump.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Wed, Oct 27 2010 10:17 AM
    It depends a lot on the wind. If it is in your face I play left and long of the pin, never miss short or the hump makes a par difficult. If my shot is very long I tend to miss it over to the right where a par is fairly easy, either way a difficult pin, even more so than the old one.
  • PAGES
RSS