Forums

Help › Forums

L97 Nike VR Mid Iron Shot Walkabout?

Thu, May 29 2014 7:17 AM (100 replies)
  • geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 4:12 PM

Jimbog1964:

but after a while overall you get more way off shots even on dings . 

Yup that^^^^^^^^^ was the problem i was seeing Jimbog.

I do not play with a high spin ball...lol. I play with the Max ball that doesn't spin much. And..... i rarely play with any spin.

Problem i was having is dinged shots flying right and left of target. Don't have a answer for it,,, but like i said before not rocket science. You aim and hit ding,, ball with Nike irons is not going in the right direction.

My average distance to pin is 10 feet. If i used the Nike irons for any length of time that distance would be going up.

Also i noticed that the Nike irons are not as forgiving on miss hits.

Yes very strange Jimbog,, some players loved them. They are without a doubt not for me. Game just seems easier with the R11s.

I guess the bottom line for me is i like to putt bird from close to hole. With Nike irons less chances for close putts. =====  more work. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 4:19 PM

geraldlarousse:

That is the gist of the whole discussion on ball/club combos. IMO, that 5 dot meter is to you what the 5 dot spin is to the others where the inconsistency is involved.

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 4:26 PM

YankeeJim:

geraldlarousse:

That is the gist of the whole discussion on ball/club combos. IMO, that 5 dot meter is to you what the 5 dot spin is to the others where the inconsistency is involved.

Kinda crazy if you think about it huh??

Sooo..... WGT made high level irons that in order for the shot to stay online you must use a cheap ball??

I guess i can believe anything here now...lol.

Soo to get the Nike irons to stay online on direction of aim after a ding hit... must use a inferior ball. Does not make one bit of sense to me...... none!

WGT would come out with irons that would make players play a less expensive ball.

Nice....      ;)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 4:28 PM

YankeeJim:
    That is the gist of the whole discussion on ball/club combos

Remember though the dinged shots are what people really can't get their head around, and you don't need any high spin to get stuffed.  Gerald hardly uses any spin on a ball with way less than some anyway (think I got that right - hope I did). Also as just said the L81 should perform well if used correctly and for SK looks like it does.....For several others not just the L81 Nike is useless with these irons.

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 4:34 PM

Jimbog1964:

YankeeJim:
    That is the gist of the whole discussion on ball/club combos

Remember though the dinged shots are what people really can't get their head around, and you don't need any high spin to get stuffed.  Gerald hardly uses any spin on a ball with way less than some anyway (think I got that right - hope I did).

Yes Jimbog i play controlling distance of shot. I never use spin unless way uphill or on a short pitch shot.

Max ball spins about the same as Srixons. Yup its the ding hits that are the problem. I can't be having dinged shots flying 5 yrds off line right or left.

5 yards...... that is 15 feet mate.... on a ding hit aimed perfectly. Can't be having that.

Something is not right with those irons on ding hits. Maybe a programming issue,, who knows?

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 5:38 PM

I don't think that the nike ball is useless with the new clubs. They actually perform better than any other ball I have tried with the nike irons. The nike irons with the extra spin, slower meter and more precision bring more balls into play for more people. Most peoples problem with the rlls was the meter. I personally use the lvl 81 nikes if playing tourneys. If just getting in a round or practice I use the TM or lvl 33 calloway. The difference for me is never more than two strokes and most times just one. Seems that with the added spin to the nikes you  have to be careful how much extra spin you add. I have not sold my rlls irons yet but they may go soon.  Have fun.

• slillico
    393 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 5:55 PM

Today just now, shot a 28 at OLY BN in 100 cred RG, with the 81 ball. Happy yes, should i stop blaming ball, maybe, was 100 feet of putts a good stat for nine holes, yes and no so think not, could I do that round after round, no way.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 5:59 PM

@Jimbog,

Thanks for some very revealing articles, I've had the L97 VRs for a while now, and my favoured ball is the Nike lvl 71 (weeks of playing with starters while chasing the R1 means anything too slow sees me nicknamed Cap'n (as in Hook)), and I've found the distance is consistently pin high, but I've found occasional lateral wandering of 2-3m on Dings and perhaps 5m on slight misdings (serious misdings I don't even consider).

Basically I have two questions:

1. Have you tried the NIke L71s? Do you get similar results.

2. You mentioned your Nike 81 / R11S yardage worked for Calloway L33s was that across the entire range. (I REALLY don't want to go back to the L33 Calloway and waste a sleeve or two to say nothing of the time, mapping out my entire bag, esp since I've recently changed by driver and 3W too.

Many thanks,
    John 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 6:09 PM

First:

Chinajohn:

Basically I have two questions:

1. Have you tried the NIke L71s? Do you get similar results.

2. You mentioned your Nike 81 / R11S yardage worked for Calloway L33s was that across the entire range. (I REALLY don't want to go back to the L33 Calloway and waste a sleeve or two to say nothing of the time, mapping out my entire bag, esp since I've recently changed by driver and 3W too.

Many thanks,
    John 

1. Not tried the L71 Nike, and so no clue.
    2. Yep across the lot.  Use a little common sense on the PW maybe, but uncanny how close it all is.  One round will give you a really good feel it's that close.

More generally:

Guys the fact that other's have seen this issue with more than the L81 ball, makes any discussion about that ball in this context a red herring IMO. That's also aside from the fact that everyone in this thread that used the L81 ball was pretty competent with it and the R11s. 

People are seeing the problem with other balls, varying types except all slow meter?  I don't know if that implies something or not. Clearly it's not affecting everyone, but for those it is, and they are several, it's a shocker. 

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2014 6:11 PM

John. I use the L71 ball also and find your analysis spot on.  I guess it's just the nature of these irons.  The extra precision and spin come at a price, which isn't really surprising.

I'm willing to tolerate the occasional wtf shot if it means I get more than a few "yes!" shots.

RSS