Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 9:45 AM

SweetiePie:

March 17               ~ Happy St. Patty's ~

~ 1902 - Bobby Jones ~ Atlanta, Georgia ~ Irish Golf Legend

1473- James IV ~ King of Scots (born in Ireland)

1685 - Jean-Marc Nattier ~ French/Irish Portrait Painter (Louis XV kept him busy) 

1777 - Roger Taney ~ Dublin ~ Chief Justice (Dred Scott decision)

1787 - George Ohm ~ Ohm's Irish Law

1834 - Gottlieb Daimler ~ German/Irish inventor of 1st motorcycle

1874 - Kincsem ~ The Irish horse that never lost a race

1895 - Shemp Howard ~ Irish/Jew ~ a real stooge

1914 - Sammy Baugh ~ Irish NFL Quarterback

1919 - Nat 'King' Cole ~ Dublin ~ Irish singing legend

1938 - Rudolf Nurayev - Russian/Irish Ballet

1951 - Kurt Russell ~ Irish Actor

1964 - Rob Lowe ~ A fine actor with natural Irish good looks

~ By the Bye ~

432 ~ St. Patrick, aged 16, is carried off to Ireland as a slave

1753 ~ 1st official St. Patrick's Day

1756 ~ St. Patricks Day 1st celebrated in NYC at the Crown & Thistle Tavern

1762 ~ 1st St. Patrick's Day Parade held in NYC 

1899 ~ FIRE!!!! yep, a nasty one at The Windsor Luxury Hotel --- roasts 92 ! However, no Irish were lost ;-} 

~ and so I leave you with McSweeny ~

You know bout' old McSweeny, he spilled some Gin on his weenie

Just to be couth, he added Vermouth

Then slipped his Girlfriend a Martini

~ or, as my brother Jonnie would say ~

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue

I've got one 'yeah' long and it's just for you

~ Well, I teed off an Irish Coffee, 1st thing, to celebrate. Corned Beef in slow-cooker. Time now to wish you a fine St. Patricks Day! ~

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2015 2:55 AM

With the time difference between me and thee and my going out last night I've just read this

SweetiePie:
        ~ and so I leave you with McSweeny ~

Thanks for starting my day with a laugh Lilly, you're the best!

Thomas

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2015 9:12 AM

SweetiePie:

March 18

1496 - Mary Tudor ~ House of Tudor ~ Daughter of Henry VII of England ~ Queen  Consort of Louis XII of France

1609 - Frederick III ~ King of Denmark & Norway

1782 - John C. Calhoun ~ Andrew Jackson's VP

1837 - Grover Cleveland ~ 22nd & 24th President of USA

1848 - Princess Louise ~ Duchess of Argyll ~ Daughter of Queen Victoria

1858 - Rudolph Diesel ~ Fine German Engineer

1869 - Neville Chamberlain ~ Brittish Prime Minister

1877 - Edgar Cayce ~ "The Sleeping Prophet" with over 100 books written about this amazing phychic, wilkipedia is enough of a beginning look & hook

and of course, true things you can't make up...1920 - Eric Halsall, Sheepdog Trial Commentator...say what ??

~ By the Bye ~

1882 ~ MURDER IN TOMBSTONE !!! yep, Morgan Earp, brother of Wyatt, gets plugged while playing Billiards...it doesn't say if it is pocket or straight 

1925 ~ TORNADOES !!!!!!!! yep, 8 frisky ones sweep MO-IN-IL-KY & TN and swirl 699

1937 ~ GAS EXPLOSION !! yep, in a Texas school gasses 294 

1953 ~ EARTHQUAKE !! yep, over in West Turkey gobbles 250 

1971 ~ LANDSLIDE !!! yep, down in Peru slips 200

2013 ~ 98 KILLED - 248 INJURED !! yep, by bombs & shootings way over in Iraq.....and now for the bad news...

~ Peace & Grace to all ~

rev2015

It is a lovely day to chase the white ball...bye

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2015 3:13 PM

SweetiePie:

April 13

~ 1743 - Thomas Jefferson ~

I was mentally counting books I have read about Mr. Jefferson. The number is 30+. Most twice, others thrice, some all the time. I am addicted to this great, interesting, most important man. What he thought, what he did, what he saw, how he lived. There is much to read about with amazement. On Royalty, he was much exposed to it, and right after his genuine retirement from the political stage he wrote in a letter to Govenor John Langdon his view of it (Royalty).

Monticello, March 5, 1810 

For five and thirty years we have walked togrther through a land of tribulations. Yet these have passed away, and so, I trust, will those of the present day. The toryism with which we struggled in '77, differed but in name from the federalism of '99, with which we struggled also; and the Anglicism of 1808, against which we are now struggling, is but the same thing still in another form. It is longing for a King, and an English King rather than any other,,,,It may be asked, what, in the nature of her government, unfits England for the observation of moral duties? In the first place, her King is a cypher; his only function being to name the oligarchy which is to govern her. The parliament is, by corruption, the mere instrument of the will of the administration. The real power and property in the government is in the great aristocratical families of the nation. The nest of office being too small for all of them to cuddle into at once, the contest is eternal, which shall crowd the other out. For this purpose, they are divided into two parties, the Ins and the Outs, so equal in weight that a small matter turns the balance. To keep themselves in, when they are in, every stratagem must be practiced, every artifice used which may flatter the pride, the passions or power of the nation. Justice, honor, faith must yield to the necessity of keeping themselves in place. The question whether a measure is moral, is never asked; but whether it will nourish the avarice of their merchants, or the piratical spirit of their navy, or produce any other effect which may strengthen them in their places. As to engagements, however positive, entered into by the predecessors of the Ins, why, they were their enemies; they did everything which was wrong; and to reverse everything which they did, must, therefore, be right. This is the true character of the English government in practice, however different its theory; and it presents the singular phenomenon of a nation, the individuals of which are as faithful to their private engagements and duties, as honorable, as worthy, as those of any nation on earth, and whose government is yet the most unprincipled at this day known. In an absolute government there can be no such equiponderant parties. The despot is the government. His power suppressing all opposition, maintains his ministers firm in their places. What he has contracted, therefore, through them, he has the power to observe with good faith; and he identifies his own honor and faith with that of his nation.

When I observed, however, that the King of England was a cypher, I did not mean to confine the observation to the mere individual now on that throne. The practice of Kings marrying only in the families of Kings, has been that of Europe for some centuries. *Now, take any race of animals, confine them in idleness and inaction, whether in a stye, a stable or a state-room, pamper them with high diet, gratify all their sexual appetites, immerse them in senualities, nourish their passions, let everything bend before them, and banish whatever might lead them to think, and in a few generations they become all body and no mind; and this, too, by a law of nature, by that very law by which we are in the constant practice of changing the characters and propensities of the animals we raise for our own purposes. Such is the regimen in raising Kings, and in this way they have gone on for centuries. While in Europe, I often amused myself with contemplating the characters of the then reigning sovereigns of Europe. Louis the XVI, was a fool, of my own knowledge, and in despite of the answers made for him at his trial. The King of Spain was a fool, and of Naples the same. They passed their lives in hunting, and dispatched two couriers a week, one thousand miles, to let each other know what game they had killed the preceding days. The King of Sardinia was a fool. All these were Bourbons. The Queen of Portugal, a Braganza, was an idiot by nature. And so was the King of Denmark. Their sons, as regents, exercised the powers of government. The King of Prussia, successor to the great Frederick, was a mere hog in body as well as in mind. Gustavus of Sweden, and Joseph of Austria, were really crazy, and George of England, you know, was in a straight waistcoat. There remained, then, none but old Catherine, who had been too lately picked up to have lost her common sense. In this state`Bonaparte found Europe; and it was this state of its rulers which lost it with scarce a struggle. These animals had become without mind and powerless; and so will every hereditary monarch be after a few generations. Alexander, the grandson of Catherine, is as yet an exception. He is able to hold his own. But he is only of the third generation. His race is not yet worn out. And so endeth the book of Kings, from all of whom the Lord deliver us, and have you, my friend, and all such good men and true, in his holy keeping.

Th Jefferson 

.....and as we look at the World Leaders of Today, little has changed

rev 2015

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2015 2:23 PM

SweetiePie:

April 14

1865 - On an evening at Ford's Theater in Washington DC, as famed actress Laura Keene ( a little long in the tooth and fond of drink), and others performed the comedy "Our American Cousin". Present was President Abraham Lincoln. At 8:15pm, actor John Wilkes Booth quietly entered the private box, aimed a derringer at Lincoln's head and fired a ball into Lincoln, just below and behind his left ear with the ball lodging behind his right eye-socket. Our beloved President was dead by 7:15am.

1912 - The British liner RMS Titanic found an iceberg in the North Atlantic at 11:40pm ship's time and began sinking. 2 hours and 40 minutes later it was done. 1,514 souls were likewise all done.

rev 2015

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2015 11:00 AM

SweetiePie:

Hers are 2 of my favorite quotes;

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. 

Soooooo true TJ.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. 

LOL,,, again, so true TJ

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 8:15 PM

overtheedge:

SweetiePie:

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. 

Soooooo true TJ.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. 

LOL,,, again, so true TJ

Wish I could ignore 240 years of history like you do ??

Then again no thanks I rather live in the present !

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 7:29 AM

siggipj76:

overtheedge:

SweetiePie:

Soooooo true TJ.

LOL,,, again, so true TJ

siggipj76:

overtheedge:

SweetiePie:

Soooooo true TJ.

LOL,,, again, so true TJ

Hey Sig...would you care to expand on your comment ? I don't seem to be able to grasp much of what it is suppose to mean nor from what perspective it comes from ~ Lil' 

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2015 5:08 AM

SweetiePie:

siggipj76:

overtheedge:

SweetiePie:

Soooooo true TJ.

LOL,,, again, so true TJ

siggipj76:

overtheedge:

SweetiePie:

Soooooo true TJ.

LOL,,, again, so true TJ

Hey Sig...would you care to expand on your comment ? I don't seem to be able to grasp much of what it is suppose to mean nor from what perspective it comes from ~ Lil' 

He doesn't know SP. He brings nothing but shallow comments but again not surprising. 

I love this quote. TJ's views / predictions were spot on.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them

Thomas Jefferson

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2015 8:48 AM

overtheedge:

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them

Thomas Jefferson

April 21

1926 ~ Elizabeth II ~ House of Windsor ~ Queen of England ~

When Elizabeth II celebrated her Diamond Jubilee in 2012, Britain gazed back over six decades of extraordinary change. Through all those transformations, the Queen has been a stalwart if somewhat reserved monarch. Given the upheavals within the royal family and the vissitudes of public opinion, her steadiness has been her greatest asset. Poised to become the longest-serving monarch in British history, Elizabeth is perhaps more popular now than ever, and the House of Windsor is adapting to the realities of a very different world from that of her accession in 1952.

~ SP ~

RSS