Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven Lies

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 24 2014 9:22 PM (8 replies)
  • greggl4798
    2 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2013 3:57 AM

Thanks, WGT for totally f-----ing up a realistic game!  I just played Cabo Del Sol with uneven lies.  No problem with the concept of having the lie affect the flight of the ball.  But this is so totally unrealistic it completely screwed up the entire game!  Having the ball go at 90 degree angle to the right because the lie is about 5 degrees downhill is ridiculous.  I couldn't hit it that far right if I shanked it!.  And having a 50 yard shot go about 10 feet because it has a slightly uphill lie.  Nonsense!  Forget it if you are in the sand trap.  Unless you have a flat unburied lie you have no idea where the ball is going.

You need to fix the uneven lies or get rid of them!  One or the other.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2013 6:06 AM

greggl4798:

Thanks, WGT for totally f-----ing up a realistic game!  I just played Cabo Del Sol with uneven lies.  No problem with the concept of having the lie affect the flight of the ball.  But this is so totally unrealistic it completely screwed up the entire game!  Having the ball go at 90 degree angle to the right because the lie is about 5 degrees downhill is ridiculous.  I couldn't hit it that far right if I shanked it!.  And having a 50 yard shot go about 10 feet because it has a slightly uphill lie.  Nonsense!  Forget it if you are in the sand trap.  Unless you have a flat unburied lie you have no idea where the ball is going.

You need to fix the uneven lies or get rid of them!  One or the other.

Hey Greg,

Great first post since joining in 2009. ;)

Anyway, how much practice with the UL feature did you do before playing the Weekly thing on Cabo? I've been playing the UL feature from the first day it was introduced and it takes a heck of a lot of practice and error to get the feel for it. If you just entered the Tourney and played the UL for the first time, it's gonna crush you right away. The game play is totally different and learning how the up and down as well as the side hill shots come off the clubs takes many rounds. Maybe play a practice round with starter balls, so you can't lose a good one, and try out different shots and angles using the mulligan feature. I learned the UL before we could use mulligans in practice mode so it took even longer to get a handle on it. Once you get a workable feel for the shots, the UL play is extremely rewarding IMO compared to just playing darts from artificially flat lies.

GL

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2013 6:33 AM

what CD said ... and i'll add the new mulligan feature is a great tool while practicing ...

• ButcherWhitey
    2 Posts
    Thu, Dec 12 2013 8:45 PM

did you even read what greg wrote?  he doesnt mind the uneven lie concept, it's just TOO unrealistic.  the ball shouldn't go that far to the left and the right when it is BARELY sitting uneven.  you have to pretend it's a 40mph east or west  wind on a barely uneven ball.  if WGT was only uneven lies, i wouldn't play because it's WAY too far off.  I'm all about REALISTIC uneven lies, but this is just pure garbage.  makes me happy to play the flat lie "dart" game you described anytime over the WAY too unrealistic UL game.  i've actually won UL country club tournies, but again, UL stinks because it is not even close to realistic.

• greggl4798
    2 Posts
    Sat, Dec 14 2013 4:32 AM

I dumped Tiger Woods EA Sports Golf a couple of years ago because it was too unrealistic.  WGT is much better.  But the uneven lies simulation is bizarre.  Perhaps if WGT moderated the effect the lie has on the ball flight by a factor of about 1/5 it might be more realistic.  But the way it is now just spoils the game.  I like a challenge, but this is totally annoying!

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Dec 14 2013 4:52 AM

+1

That's why I stopped playing it, despite the fun in the "tough" tournaments.

On these Open Championship Courses, I like to see myself as a professional (with a learning curve of course). But, on the UELs, with all the uncontrollable shots, I'm feeling like a rookie on a real golf course - not pleasurable in comparison to regular play.

The experienced UEL players praise the course management which helps to good scores, "play to this spot, lay up shorter!" Of course it works but it needs immense practice to keep in mind or to write down those favourable spots. IRL, I can do it through a round or two, looking at the fairways and inspecting critical passages while walking the course. Here, I'm missing visualisations of the characteristics before I have placed a shot (cf. putting grid).

• DTorus
    3 Posts
    Sat, Mar 1 2014 9:59 AM

when I read comments like this I wonder what the heck is going on, because I do not find UEL to be THAT extreme a all.  A 50 yard shot going 10 FEET because it has a "slightly" uphill lie?

Really?

If that is not a major exaggeration then maybe UEL acts differently for different players and/or different equipment?  I don't know what else to think because that doesn't sound like anything I have experienced. Or maybe the poster has missed something about how it works or misunderstood how to read it? I don't know how to make sense of comments like this because it does not connect with my experience at all.

It is challenging sure, but to me the way it reacts seem very appropriate and makes the game SO MUCH more realistic that I have no desire to play even lies at all. Yes, I have had some shots go way wild, but they were extremely uneven lies and completely understandable.

I recently saw a clip of real life golf shot from a bunker, a crazy lie and the player used it in a crazy way: the ball went straight up and backwards over his head, landing very close to the hole which was behind him! 

It was  very short clip so I did not get to see if the player complained that the lie was so unreal that it reminded him of WGT.

I am very happy to see more UL RGs!  Please keep it up WGT!

• Astondb5
    33 Posts
    Thu, Jul 24 2014 6:11 PM

Before I criticize uneven lies, I just want to say I love WGT. There I said it.

But, I have to say that there are so many glitches with WGT as it is.  I enjoy playing uneven just for a laugh because they are just so ludicrous. They should spend their time correcting the glitches.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Jul 24 2014 9:22 PM

Check time line on this. 

UeL have improved greatly since this thread started. 

Still. There are those occasional lies just off the green...

Man. In real life I'd putt with my 5 iron. Hop it up and let it roll. 

Sadly. Not an option. 

Use the putting meter for chips? 

There ya go. 

or just let us putt with something other than the putter. Same idea.

RSS