Forums

Help › Forums

St Andrews #12

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 30 2010 5:33 PM (3 replies)
  • United4Life
    104 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 5:32 PM

It seems to me I can hardly ever birdie this hole!!!

Because of two things, firstly the ridge guarding the front of the green makees it almost impossible to stop the ball within 3 yards and secondly the hump in the green to the left of the hole

Anyone got any good tips to get around these problems???

TY :)

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Mon, Aug 30 2010 4:13 PM

Hole #12 is a pretty easy par 4, most of the time it is driveable and even if you are short it is not that difficult.  On tee shots I try to miss the center bunker either right or left depending upon the wind, if you miss it and have a little speed on the ball it generally can loop the ridges and funnel back toward the hole.  Once in a while I hit it long and end up on the back or over the green which is very difficult.

If you are pro or less, using standard clubs, then you are playing short of these bunkers and have a little harder shot over the ridge in front of the green.  Being a little long of the hole is better than short and if you are about 25 feet long you can get a roll back of the ridge.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Mon, Aug 30 2010 5:26 PM

TarheelsRule:

Hole #12 is a pretty easy par 4, most of the time it is driveable and even if you are short it is not that difficult.  On tee shots I try to miss the center bunker either right or left depending upon the wind, if you miss it and have a little speed on the ball it generally can loop the ridges and funnel back toward the hole.  Once in a while I hit it long and end up on the back or over the green which is very difficult.

If you are pro or less, using standard clubs, then you are playing short of these bunkers and have a little harder shot over the ridge in front of the green.  Being a little long of the hole is better than short and if you are about 25 feet long you can get a roll back of the ridge.

The problem I have with this hole is when there is high wind from behind  with the Super- Tri  driver. I have driven over this green several times. And using the 3 wood always seems to land in such a poor spot that the ball wont roll onto the green.More often that not I will use the G-10 Master driver playing SA. But as you said it really is an easy par 4. I have birdied it several times and eagled it a few times as well. The last time I eagled it I played my 3 wood with high tail winds. My drive stopped about 20 yards short of the hole. I used my 64 degree using the flop shot and holed it out. It's always a thrill to watch a ball go into the hole from off the green like that.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Mon, Aug 30 2010 5:33 PM

always one of my favorites after playing #11, as said pretty easy to drive the green.

RSS