Forums

Help › Forums

choose all your own clubs

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 28 2010 8:15 PM (6 replies)
  • Deccy180
    233 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 8:04 AM

i beleieve you should be able to take out some of your standard irons and change then with extra wedges if you want

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 1:41 PM

Deccy180:

i beleieve you should be able to take out some of your standard irons and change then with extra wedges if you want

A lot of us think that and have made the suggestion to WGT many times. They say they may make that change sometime in the future but have not as of yet and have not given any time frame as to when it might happen if at all.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 1:47 PM

I am not sure if you know this but you can take out your fairway wood and put in an extra wedge. I have been doing this for quite some time!

• corace
    276 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 5:43 PM
    yes but I have to change a wedge for a hybrid when I play Beth. and that leads to forgetting to change back sometimes. I rarely use my 5 iron, I could do with out that easier the my hybrid or a wedge
  • borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:08 PM

corace:
    yes but I have to change a wedge for a hybrid when I play Beth. and that leads to forgetting to change back sometimes. I rarely use my 5 iron, I could do with out that easier the my hybrid or a wedge

The hybrid imo is a waste. There is not that much difference between the hybrid and the 3 iron. I never use the hybrid and have 3 optional wedges. And at times at SA I will take out the 3 wood as well and use 4 optional wedges. And a couple of times I took out the 3 wood and instead of the 4th optional wedge I used both my master G-10 driver and the TM Super-Tri driver. G-10 if wind was behind me Super-tri if the wind was directly in my face. I shot a 68 doing that. But also had a 70 that could have been a 65 or 66. took a 9 at 14 because with no 3 wood My 3 iron shot ended up in the bunker on top of the hill in such an awful spot my pw shot out of the bunker went 2 yards into the fescue and my 4th out of the fescue went only 65 yards or so in another awful spot took 2 more from there to get on and 3 putts later i had a 9 going -6 to -2 parred out from there. But the damage was done. May not take the 3 wood out again at least not with high winds at SA.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:33 PM

borntobesting:
    The hybrid imo is a waste.

I do disagree. At Oakmont and BPB, the hybrid is very useful. It means having a stab at birdie instead of struggling for par on a lot of holes when you drive into the rough.

3 wedges is hard to live without however and it is a tradeoff.

(or you can drop the 3w for the hybrid, but that doesn't play well  on BPB #7 for example, and pretty much makes your chances for eagles zero on many of hte par 5's)

At #15 BPB, I recently put my second shot 4 yards from the hole OUT OF THE ROUGH!!!!! with the i15 hybrid, which is a beast of a club - really serious trajectory on that one!

I always shake my head at the 4 wedge set. I know the 3 wedges I carry like the back of my putter - I doubt you can know 4 wedges inside and out so well.

Figuring out which 2 wedges to carry when carrying the hybrid is a chore. You really have to manage the course well and consider the type of hazards you face around the greens. A 64* wedge is almost useless out of any bunker at oakmont cause you'll get 30-40-50-60-70% lies most the time and you need a strong wedge to flop or hit out of it.

Heck I hit my 3 iron off the tee a bunch at Oakmont to lay up to a short iron (except on the par 3's where you need the DRIVER!!! LMAO)

If you manage the course well enough to carry only 2 wedges, the hybrid can be a savior at times.

Only a bad carpenter blames his tools. And only a bad golfer dosen't carry a fairway wood.. ha ha! (just kidding Yankke Jim :) _ )

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 8:15 PM

So.. to get back on topic...

It seems like the programming difficulties in breaking up the iron sets will make it unlikely that we will be able to replace individual irons any time soon.

So the simple answer is for WGT to offer hybrid/ hybrid iron sets. You would buy a complete set which would consist of 3, 4, maybe 5 hybrid, and the rest will be normal irons. 

This would also make 5 wood feasible to sell in the pro shop.  In real life I might even play a 7 or 9 wood - not likely, but I do own them.

The "hip" thing to do on tour is to take our the 4 iron for the third wedge. Most pro's will play 3 wedges and have a 3 wood with a hybrid or 5 wood - or on occasion a 2 iron.

The irons and the avatars are sort of set up in a weird way here in WGT land. I can't take an iron out of my bag... and If i want the shoes, I have to buy the face also...

pretty screwy when you think about it.

RSS