Forums

Help › Forums

RG players and winds...what ya think????

Tue, Jan 20 2015 9:24 PM (102 replies)
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Oct 14 2013 7:35 PM

Topic change from "winds work out"

My lily white azz.

Or does "working out in the long run", means you get 2 or 3 holes down wind every 10 entries?

Curious RG players...FFS.

Geesh, toss a effing side wind in...occasionally...don't need tail winds, but FFS...a side wind would be nice...

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:21 PM

There really should be a setting where everyone in a tournament gets the exact same wind and hole positions. Should be included in CC tournament creation also.

I know WGT claims they don't want a player to leak wind conditions to other players. However I would guess that's WGT way of preventing an advantage to players with multiple accounts. I'm really not convinced that helps though.

To be fair, all players entering single play tournaments should get the exact same conditions and hole positions, and that especially goes for tournaments with heavy winds.

MBaggese:

Or does "working out in the long run", means you get 2 or 3 holes down wind every 10 entries?

Good question - Really.....how many times do you need to enter/play a tournament to get beneficial winds on all holes, a fair number of holes, and get totally screwed. 

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:49 PM

MBaggese:

My lily white azz.

Geesh, toss a effing side wind in...occasionally...don't need tail winds, but FFS...a side wind would be nice...

Well..... i would say that it works out if you are one of the lucky ones.

Reason i have not played a high wind ready go in a long time.

I for some unknown reason do not get good wind sets, lol. No.... i get every par 5 with wind howling directly in my face.

And.......for some strange reason every par 3 wind is howling at my back.

Yeah....a side wind would be nice,, but that would be going against the grain for me...lol.

Yup..WGT's excuses for this are like A$$holes...i think everyone knows the rest. ;)

Its a shame is what it is,, and i have expressed my opinion in several other threads on this subject. Like i said before, i don't think they have the programmers to make wind same for all.

Or....they just don't give a shite....one of the two.  :))

Edit:  And....then after that 25 at RSG...you think you deserve a side wind??  Come on man...lmao!

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Oct 14 2013 10:07 PM

MBaggese:

My lily white azz.

Had a bad round sir? :)

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Mon, Oct 14 2013 10:44 PM

I have to agree that every player in any tourney Rg or CC should get the EXACT same conditions,,,,wind can make or break a round depending on direction a 20mph wind can make a 30 yard difference on an approach shot, huge advantage to those lucky enough to get the tail winds on par fives,not having the EXACT same wind direction for all players is making the tourney a totally different animal for those who don't get the luck of the tail winds especially on par fives.......I don't enter any tourneys with heavy winds anymore  knowing it's a crap shoot and the possibilities of getting the best wind conditions is few and far between.....fix it WGT..

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Oct 14 2013 11:24 PM

courteneyfish:
    Had a bad round sir? :)

Lol!

No...just RG complaining;)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Oct 14 2013 11:25 PM

geraldlarousse:
    Edit:  And....then after that 25 at RSG...you think you deserve a side wind??  Come on man...lmao!

Hey now, that was low wind...I don't have my "program" set up for high winds yet;)

• Briace1000
    10 Posts
    Tue, Oct 15 2013 1:47 PM

I've played the front of the par 5 course probably 10 times and every reachable green has wind in your face and unreachable green I guarantee it will be at your back. I quit playing It for that reason. The idea of a par 5 course in my opinion is to make eagles. Sure I make a lot of birdies but I would enjoy going for the green once in a while.

I can't really say every reachable par 5 plays into the wind because there was one hole where it did play downwind' I'm going to say 98 percent of the time.

Maybe they set it up this way for the highest tier players with the best driver in the game as it would give them a huge advantage over us players at lower levels. At level 91 there is no driver that can play into the wind and reach these greens.

I guess I have to wait another year to get to lvl 98 where the driver that is needed is available to me.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Oct 15 2013 3:44 PM

I can give an update, ...last night I posted after the SA F9 RG...today I played it again...1,2 into wind, 3 side-ish, 4 into, 5 into, 6 into, 7 and 8 sides and 9 into.

Now what I did (pay attention folks) is on the par 5 hit 3wood from 180+ out with a scooch of topspin...aiming to right side of green...hit a tad late, but caught the downslope before the green, and kicked me to about 65 feet right of the hole...first time I ever sniffed that green into a head wind...oh, the result of the putt is in my replays;)

Did post a 29...just missed the ding on the correct side for a change:)

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Tue, Oct 15 2013 3:49 PM

It wouldn't be difficult for WGT to orient whole courses relative to the compass.  It's only 18 data points for a whole course (one for each hole).  Compare that to the thousands upon thousands of data points needed for the topography, hazards, trees, and everything else the ball might contact.  Wind direction is small potatoes.

And it's not like they need to visit each course with a Boy Scout to find out which direction the holes face.  Google Maps wound do the job.

The programming code is already in place to adjust the wind direction relative to the shot direction within any single hole.  All they'd need to do is junk the random wind variable which is (probably) generated at the start of each new hole and replace it with a user-input variable (determined by whoever sets up the tournament, as is done with wind speed and green speed).  Then, each hole would be adjusted for it's own compass orientation (one of the 18 data points I mentioned earlier).  

Then, the tournament descriptions could read like this:

Wind: NW Moderate
    Greens: Tournament

or

Wind:  SSE High
    Greens:  Very Fast

The great thing about this is it wouldn't matter if somebody was a multi, or was tipped off by another player.  The information would be out there for everybody.  Even better, players who pay attention to wind direction could use their knowledge and experience to benefit. 

RSS