Help › Forums

Ping 64 degree

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 19 2010 9:22 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 4:33 PM
    I notice that a lot of people in this game prefer the Taylormade 64 degree to the Ping 64 degree. I have to ask why, as the way i see it, the stats of the 2 clubs don't seem to justify a huge preference to the Taylormade. I have enough credits to be thinking of buying some clubs now and don't want to make a wrong decision and waste credits (as i can't readily buy them right now, i get them through surveys which aren't a gurantee)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 4:51 PM

I think it's because the Satin is shorter at 50 yds vs 60.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 5:14 PM

Wait, what?

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 5:32 PM

YankeeJim:
    I think it's because the Satin is shorter at 50 yds vs 60.

What Jim said the satin has a distance of 50 yards and the ping goes 60 yards!

Cheers

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 5:33 PM

#1 You want club range separation.  For example, it's silly to have a 72-yard wedge when you already have a 77-yard wedge.  The 50-yard wedge allows you to hit "full swings" down to about 23 yards, and if you punch with it, probably about 20 yards.  You couldn't get down that low with the 60-yard wedge.  Yes, the 60-yard wedge would make you better in the 50-60-yard range, but it would leave you naked in the 20-30-yard range.

#2 A range of a punch shot with the 77-yard wedge is 63 yards.  For those that use the punch shot, which is pretty much everyone but me, there would be no reason to buy the 60-yard wedge when their 77-yard wedge already offers them 63 yards.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 5:43 PM

Can see where you're coming from there... so noone really plays the master tier wedges?  Cos i'd think 105-85-60 would be a good split if you wanted the Master tier Pings... though the obvious arguement would be that making the pitching wedge gap too little...

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:02 PM

overthetop2:

Can see where you're coming from there... so noone really plays the master tier wedges?  Cos i'd think 105-85-60 would be a good split if you wanted the Master tier Pings...

105-77-50 would be ok.  I'd guess that there's people out there with that setup.

With punch shots, the 105 would hit maybe 90 yards, and you could get a 77-85-yard wedge that would punch to 63-69 yards... but I'd still go with the 50-yard wedge over the 60-yard one.  You'll get some separation from that 63-69-yard punch, and being able to hit a "full swing" shot down to 25 yards and even lower is pretty awesome.  I much prefer it to pitching.

I'd also guess that, at the ranges we're talking about, people aren't too worried about getting .5 more precision.  What's that going to do?  Decrease the average deviance by 6 inches?  That's not going to do all that much for you, considering that you have to give up .5 forgiveness and .5 spin to get it.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:39 PM

It really comes down to full power and pitching power. I carry the z satin master 64 (90 yds), Z Sain TP Pro 60 (77 yds) and the Z Satin Pro 64 (50 Yds). Most of the time I will drop the fairway wood and carry and extra wedge. Usually I will carry the Z Satin TP Master 54 (98 yds). I do this because I use the G10 Master irons and like something that hits about 98 to 100 because the G10 pitching wedge hits 115yds. I know it sounds weird but I have a range of extra wedges I will use. I prefer the Z Satin over the other wedges myself. 

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 7:15 PM

I play G-10 Ping Masters.

My PW goes 115..

So I carry a 105 wewdge

a 90 wedge and the ping 64 which goes 60

I like the ping better. The higher trajectory offsets the spin..the precision is way more important than the forgiveness and i find that the ping which  punches at 49 and flops at 19  to be a way better spread for me. I dont carry a hybrid..4 wedges will have more use.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 9:48 PM

overthetop2:

Can see where you're coming from there... so noone really plays the master tier wedges?  Cos i'd think 105-85-60 would be a good split if you wanted the Master tier Pings... though the obvious arguement would be that making the pitching wedge gap too little...

I play the ping master wedges and the ping 64.

The pitching wedge / A wedge gap is only 10 yards,  but you can't hit a flop shot with your pitching wedge!  ANd it's not easy to hit your PW 99 yards.

The ping master wedges and the 64 will actually spin back on a  punch shot in a lot of circumstances. So effectively the punch shot on the Ping 64 = the full shot from the TaylorMade - trajectory and all.

The chip yardage of the Taylormade is pretty much useless at 5 yards - we currently don't have pins that close to the edges of greens, however the chip yardage of the ping at 7 yards is pretty good. I chip in a lot from the back edge of the green at #12 BPB. that's exactly 7 yards, just adjust for the green speed with back spin.

(I  miss the 10 yard chip on the snake eyes wedge.... man I chipped in dozens of shots with that wedge as a pro!)

The Flop. I'd wager that most TM 64* players love that 15 yard flop. And yes it's pretty sweet in some situations - but it's a yard or 2 short of getting me to the pin on #4 at BPB from the left side of the front green side bunker. - and it's going to just barely get out any bunker where you've drawn a 30% lie. I see people flopping from the rough just off the green with that club - i think you are better off learning how to "bump and run" in those situations.

One real advantage the TM 64 does have over the PING is that it's freaking wind proof - even on the full shot - it's like the ball just teleports there. Where as with the PING 64 - even with the punch shot the wind is a force to be considered - but you are used to that if you play G10's anyway.

Pitching. You can get away with having odd gaps in you full shot yardages. But a large gap in your pitching can be a nightmare. It gets really hard to predict the landing point and roll of a pitch (or chip) when you are hitting a half power shot.

It all comes down to preferences, and ultimately what else is in your bag. I play the Ping 64 cause it fits in perfectly just under my Ping 60* master wedge - which is the club I use most often around the green - and the one wedge I have in my bag for every course from any set of tees.

• PAGES
RSS