Forums

Help › Forums

Just thought I would share this about putting

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 17 2010 1:22 PM (3 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 8:57 AM

You are 20ft away from the hole.  The ball travels in its line up 4 inches, then down 3 inches, then levels off, then falls another inch a foot from the hole.  The game will say the ball to the hole is 0 inches in height comparison.  By tracing the triangle over the terrain you will see the hills and valleys, and perhaps that 20ft putt, acts more like 18ft, or 22ft. 

All the game tells you that the ball and hole are at the same height, but doesnt explain whats in between.  Pay attention to the grid and try moving the cursor along the line you want.  The correlation between up hill putt power increase and downhill putt power decrease is not the same. 

Also works well for chips and putts, i.e at andrews rd hole fescue near the green, chip reads level to hole when you know that its going all downhill from landing zone.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 9:15 AM

Good observation, neil. I like to look at the whole line in reverse view to see where these up and downs occur, more at SA than anywhere else.

Now here's the question- In your example how do you break down the numbers?

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 9:54 AM

Normally 1 inch is 1 ft in speed.  But if the uphill portion is within the first few feet I will probably disount it by 20% as long as it comes right back down again. 

If the uphill piece is at the end of the putt I will just add that uphill piece to the putt but only add like 3 extra ft, so downhill 4 inches, then back up 4 inches on a 20ft putt, I will play like 23ft. 

As always in WGT I want the ball to have a chance to hit the hole, then short the putt by 5 inches.  5 footers coming back dont concern me much.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 1:22 PM

I think of it as the "trend" of the putt, or for that matter, chip, pitch, and flop also. I usually only value the last 25 or 30% of the shot in question for this.

For example, my 15ft putter on v fast greens gets about 17ft. of distance. If the shot is 17ft and trending down, I`ll hit full power (unless it`s severe!) and if it`s trending up, I switch to my 30ft putter. I`ve left a lot of putts short, not switching to the 30ft.er because of the upward trend. Likewise with the other shots around the green.

RSS