Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out III': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open THIRD EDITION!

Mon, Oct 28 2013 3:55 PM (614 replies)
  • BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2013 6:28 PM

Looks like Jluck and myself have a tee time scheduled for Wednesday evening. I'm absolutely dreading the Par 3 17th, the Par 4 18th, and the Par 5 4th -- unless we draw the back center Pin, natch - but even a back pin plus headwind will make this hole a nightmare.  Based on my practice rounds there are Birds available on this course, provided you can stay below the hole or at the very least Pin high. You still have to have a pure stroke with the putter however, which is something I don't have rofl.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2013 7:10 PM

BigInigoMontoya:

Looks like Jluck and myself have a tee time scheduled for Wednesday evening. I'm absolutely dreading the Par 3 17th, the Par 4 18th, and the Par 5 4th -- unless we draw the back center Pin, natch - but even a back pin plus headwind will make this hole a nightmare.  Based on my practice rounds there are Birds available on this course, provided you can stay below the hole or at the very least Pin high. You still have to have a pure stroke with the putter however, which is something I don't have rofl.

The par 5 4th hole is very interesting. If you have any kind of headwind, it kills the drive and it lands on the false front of the fairway. From there reaching the green in 3 shots becomes incredibly hard. Combine the front pin position and it's a brutal par and occasional bogie hole for me in practice.

17, left pin onto the wind is a driver that lands short and 2 pretty tough putts to read. On this hiole I prefer cross wind in either direction instead of head or follwing winds.

18, I've tested 2 ways. I've hit to the front tee with a punched PW then hit driver and 3 wood to the green for a 2 putt bogie more than once. I've also hit driver into the junk, hit a punched 3H to the fairway and a 3 wood short of the green. Then a pitch and 2 putt double bogie. It's like what punch to the face would you like to finish with. ;)

I've shot -4 and -6 in testing with great winds and putting. I've also shot -2 with terrible luck and winds. Having a good feel for the green speed and putting very aggressively should yield some very low scores.

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2013 10:22 PM

I'd like to remind everybody to get their screenshots on #5 for the CTTH award and for any unusually difficult lie.  If you look at your lie and think "ewww....this sucks", take a picture.  There are plenty of yellow lies out there that IMO are harder to deal with than the flashing red in the sand that we all know so well.  You may enter more than once!

One condition:  I won't allow anything from the Quarry.  It's easy to hit it in there, and you're almost guaranteed an impossible lie.  

I don't want anybody's playing partner to have to sit through the 13 hacks that will be needed to get moving again.  One thing to note:  if you find the rough on your drive on 16, any attempt to reach the green in two will end up here.  Lay up or go to the right.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:28 AM

13 mph crosswind at 17 is a biatch. I had 7 mulligans off the tee, and found driver was the best solution, but jeeez, is it tough

Thanks to CD I tried the trick on 18 htting PW to forward tee, driver, 3wood and 2 putt bogey

Togemag I am ready to go any day.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Oct 9 2013 5:00 AM

bhoese:

I'd like to remind everybody to get their screenshots on #5 for the CTTH award

Just a question: this applies to either pin postion? In practice I've gotten the front and the newer back pin. I've been within 6 feet of the front but only about 18-24 feet of the back pin during some practice runs.

~CD~

• unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Wed, Oct 9 2013 7:17 AM

Corwyn:

Thanks Neil, I did make a mistake (comes of working late at night, I guess!)... but a smaller one. 

Your 67% GIR was just your back 9 total. 6 greens out of 9 to make 67%. (details in your posts here and here).

Your front 9 total (details here) was 44%: 4 greens out of 9.

So, overall, you hit 10 out of 18 greens, for a total that should have read 56% (not 50%, sorry). I've amended the Leaderboard spreadsheets (note that the precise info regarding which greens were par 3s affects the Ave. Distance to the Pin results only, and notes pertaining to those are logged on the side of the Ave. Dist. tab).

But Mac is still the winner of the pure GIR prize at Olympic with her 61% (from hitting just one more green!).

----------------

Folks, as you can see, it's perfectly possible I've made mistakes, so please do check to see if your info looks right.

Yep got that, no problem

I see that now, totally ignorant to all these stats, but thanks for explaining.

Neil

• BogieZed
    87 Posts
    Wed, Oct 9 2013 4:14 PM

Deedles77 and I just finished up today both of us hit quite a few real bad holes.  So that's the way it goes Corwin this was a real experience for me, thanks for all the hard work.

• Wesdogg75
    2,431 Posts
    Wed, Oct 9 2013 7:55 PM

Final round for Fred and I, was a good start for me was -3 after 13, then I started leaking oil worse than a Ford Pinto!!! Tried for forward teebox on 18 and missed the tee box!!!   Double bogey was the end result. Fred on the other hand must have the absolute worse luck of anyone I've seen with this setup, lies that don't react the way they are supposed to, dinged shots that go stray and many lipped out putts, 1 that I don't know how it stayed out of the hole........oh well we still had a blast, thnx for the tournament guys, you all are topshelf this tournament has been run and organized great!!!

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Wed, Oct 9 2013 10:00 PM

CerinoDevoti:

bhoese:

I'd like to remind everybody to get their screenshots on #5 for the CTTH award

Just a question: this applies to either pin postion? In practice I've gotten the front and the newer back pin. I've been within 6 feet of the front but only about 18-24 feet of the back pin during some practice runs.

~CD~

Yeah, that's either pin.  They're both really hard.  I got the back pin in practice tonight and it took me 12-15 mulligans to get one to 15 feet.  But that was with a R-L wind, and off of one of the worst R-L lies I've had in that fairway. 

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Oct 10 2013 9:52 AM

Great to see 4 players completed so far!

And don't forget not only your CTTH on #5 (grab screenshot for sure, and replay if you can), but also remember prizes on offer for Worst Lie, and Best Save.

Corwyn:
    CTTH competition at #5: Post screenshot showing closest-to-the-hole location after your 2nd shot on this hole, and replay links would be great too. (1 sleeve of balls of players choice. sponsor: bhoese)

and, for fun... 2 prizes to be judged by the organizers based on screenshots provided in the thread (organizers decision is final):

Worst Lie  factoring in upslope vs. downslope, severity of sideslope, burial % and rough/sand/fescue/brush. Screenshots should be taken with the aimer at the default position. (1 sleeve of balls of players choice. sponsor: bhoese)

Best Save: to be judged similarly - the difficulty of the worst situation on the way to a par. Screenshots should be taken with the aimer at the default position, and replays of the resulting shot will be needed too.(1 sleeve of balls of players choice. sponsor: bhoese)

RSS