Forums

Help › Forums

i15 and G10 Master Irons Stats

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 13 2010 3:35 PM (5 replies)
  • ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Fri, Aug 13 2010 12:58 AM

This isn't a 'which clubs are best' thread so please don't make it one, but I am keen to share an observation:

Down to a 5 iron the on-paper stats for these two clubs are the same except for an extra half point of precision on the i15s (excluding meter speed). Therefore one would expect mid iron approach shots to hold the greens in the same ways.

However, after a lot of testing I can't seem to avoid the conclusion that the i15s stop the ball faster and offer more control. This is best seen on hole 5 at Kiawah when there is a tail wind. The ball just seems to sit down faster with the i15s and I can hold the green more consistently.

My theory is that although both clubs are listed as 'High' tradjectory, the i15s actually have a slightly higher ball flight but since the G10s are already listed as 'High' there is no way to tell unless a more detailed tradjectory scale is introduced.

Am I just imaging this?

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Fri, Aug 13 2010 1:53 AM

Hi there;

The i15's do have a higher trajectory then the g10's.  It is especially noticeable with the GI-SD ball. You will get slightly more carry also.

Infinito

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Fri, Aug 13 2010 6:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know.

Perhaps a more detailed tradjectory scale on the club stats is called for?

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Fri, Aug 13 2010 6:50 AM

I'd have to disagree, the i15 meter speed even with GI balls, is way to fast to ever make an acurate club. I'd have to say buy the G10 irons and use Tour SD balls.  That will give you plenty spin and the leanring curve isn't as bad with them as the I15

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Fri, Aug 13 2010 10:05 AM

Well I play with both sets of irons.  My observations with the Tour GI-SD ball are that the i15 are accurate clubs if the meter speed is consistent.  Let me say this, AvatarLee's take on the i15's is an interesting read as it compares to the g10's.

I15's however, you need to get into a rhythm to hit them consistently.  I try snapping my fingers during practice swings.  Take alot of them.  However, in a previous thread discussing meter speed, the speed of the meter should be consistent throughout.

Ball trajectory, carry, and spin as it relates to this aspect of the game is dependent on the balls you use.

Also note which clubs other top players use that allow them to score well.  G10's and even Raptures (Pro).  Thus conclusion, if you understand the nuances of the clubs you play with, which includes carry, and under various wind conditions  the impact of spin on the ball you will score well.  Thus, putting it in perspective, practice, practice and more practice!!!

Infinito

• Kobalt46
    276 Posts
    Fri, Aug 13 2010 3:35 PM

King

I use the i15's  with gi-sd's balls...While i think its faster than the g10's and tour-sd's  I have better accuracy and more stopping power

RSS