Forums

Help › Forums

Theory of the DING

Mon, Aug 9 2010 5:13 PM (29 replies)
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:15 AM

I get the feeling a lot of WGT members feel that if they could "ding" more often they'd have scores like some of the best Masters. 

Not so fast!  My theory is if you gave an Amateur (or even most Pros) the ability to ding 100% of his/her shots he/she still couldn't shoot that low.  I believe it comes down to course management, correct club selection and reading the break and speed of putts.  That's how the Masters excel. 

In fact, counter to what we mortals think, I'd bet Masters like Avatar Lee and Bollux ding the meter perhaps only 75-85% of the time.

So here's a poll:  Post your average and guestimate your percentage of dings in a round (including putting).  And I'd love, among others, to hear from the two players (Open winners) mentioned above.

Thank you.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:43 AM

I think they ding it about that often too,  but  I think they dont ding on purpose  a lot of the time too,  hitting a shot early or late on purpose  helps a bunch in this game. while putting I do this  quite often with putts under 5 ft, easier then moving the arrow.

• restorethis
    151 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 9:31 AM

I ding It about 20% of the time.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 9:40 AM

average: 62.43

percent of dinged shots per round: varies, depending on wind conditions and how I decide to attack each shot.   can vary from 10%-40%.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 9:49 AM

wizbang360:

I think they ding it about that often too,  but  I think they dont ding on purpose  a lot of the time too,  hitting a shot early or late on purpose  helps a bunch in this game. while putting I do this  quite often with putts under 5 ft, easier then moving the arrow.

It's good to hear that someone else but me uses this.  Except for when i'm playing in big winds I will never aim from the ding, I always plan on missing my shots, some find it a bad idea but I got used to it.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:02 AM

Myself:

avg 61.25 (not for long)

ding at most 15% on anything but putter, and probably around 80% on putts over 2ft

Others:

I guess Bullox and Avatar and the others like them ding about 35% for everything but putts.

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:08 AM

I never ding my drives but thats on purpose - prob about 30% dingage on the fairway and 70% on the green.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:48 AM

neildiamond11790:
    I guess Bullox and Avatar and the others like them ding about 35% for everything but putts.

Probably a good guess but maybe a tad low.  I ding around 40%-45% using the i15s  when meter is solid.  Interesting question though.  I think I'm going to record that stat for a week and see what I come up with.

Regarding scoring, no you don't have to ding every shot to score well.  You just have to make sure you miss on the proper side of center to hold against wind conditions.  I shot 27 this weekend on STA.  Meter was horrible and I didn't ding a single full shot.  Then turn around Sunday, ding about 75% of my shots on Kiawah and only scored 63.  LOL.  The beast was out in force with several 15 -20 yd deviations on dingers.

• DougBieker
    333 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 11:44 AM

Current avg 62.51.......I would guess that Im close to 40 to 50 percent of dings when I actually try to but generally speaking unless Im "really concentrating" I tend to misshit most shots on purpose as Jake is also talking about holding the shots against the wind or occasionally riding the wind.   I still putt by missing and perhaps that is why I will never move any lower average wise than I have already, Ive never seen the 50's average wise,  but I also turn in just about all of my scores even the occasional over par round ...lol...  but I would guess the superstars on here such as Mr. Lee and Bullox and Jake and Iconian and Price and coolswing and of course Priestess and so many other exceptional players if they miss they ALWAYS miss on the correct side leaving them still a very makeable putt or still in position from the fairway and then of course they never miss a putt or so it seems...maybe I should try aiming since it works for them.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 12:24 PM

Ding % on full or near full swings I would guess around 55-60%.  (of the times I'm trying to ding, I intentionally mishit more than most other good players)  Some days are as low as 25%, other days I might ding 75%, very special rounds might be as high as 90%.

Putting I would guess around 75-80% of the time if  I'm trying to ding,  but I intentionally mishit a vast majority of the shorter putts.

RSS