Forums

Help › Forums

Driver off the Fairway

Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:15 AM (6 replies)
  • Bigfoot49uk
    59 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 10:45 PM

Must be a complete no-no here. I've tried it a couple of times but even though I've caught the meter dead-on it just scuttles along the ground. Has anyone else had any joy with it?

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 12:05 AM

I tried it once to see if i could make the 7th at bethpage in regulation.  It didn't go well (110 yards i think)

With legit reason:

In the real game, proper drivers are much bigger than other clubs in the bag.  They're designed for tees where the ball is elevated, hence they have a sweet spot in the upper part of the club.  Try to play such a driver off the fairway in real life, and the ball will at best bump and roll for about 100 yards.  Now i realise some other games let you use the driver, particually older ones, but this games going for more realism (ie: pros never take out drivers on the fairway).

• pauls
    1,146 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 3:08 AM

in the real game the driver off the deck is not really that hard a shot, especially with today's drivers.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 4:27 AM

I tested out using the driver off the deck just now, it didn't go well.

Even if you ding it you're only going to get about 85 yards INCLUDING at least 45 yards of roll.  Don't try it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 4:54 AM

Punch it-it rolls forever. 

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 5:43 AM

YankeeJim:

Punch it-it rolls forever. 

My best attempt with punch on this end yielded about 70 yards of carry and 80 yards of roll... so yeah you're right in saying punch helps that shot, but not nearly by enough to justify using it over say, an iron or a 3 wood, unless other drivers handle differently...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:15 AM

overthetop2:
    My best attempt with punch on this end yielded about 70 yards of carry and 80 yards of roll..

I don't carry a fairway wood or HB. BPB#7 is one of the holes where this causes a problem of sorts. My second shot is a driver punch that gets to 30-40 yards off the green. Top spin helps the roll and wind does not affect it like it does the long irons. That's where the no carry lots of roll helps. I use the Tri driver.    :-)

RSS