Help › Forums

Gi15 or G10

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 22 2010 10:37 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • drewsterinone
    190 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 5:25 PM

Hi all hope everything is going well on the courses for you.

First played the qualifier..didnt qualify but shot an impressive -5 with no bogeys. Was really impressed with myself, but thats not why im writing this post.

Been master for a bit now, and somewhat struggling with my approaches. Just wondering what everyone thinks about the Ping i15 irons and the G10 irons. I still have a pro set, Taylormade Tour Buner. 

I have some credits to burn and wanted to get the master set of irons!! Like what kind of spin do you all feel with like your PW  and 987 irons. The pro set i have now i like but doesnt sit to often with them.   maybe just me i dunno

But yeah just curious what your take on them is compared to pro set i got and such.

Hope some good thoughts come out about them

Thanks in advance,

DREW

• DonteBow32
    4 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:12 PM

Drew bro your best bet is to go with the g10's or the i15's.....You will be disappointed if you go with the g15's

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:22 PM

well    I play the G10s  and rented the G15s    except for the  extra 5 yrds you get with the 15s   there is no advantge  I can see that would compensate for the faster meter.   So  I stayed with the G10s.   but there are times I wish I had gotten the TMs you get a little more spin with them , although  spin is not all it is cracked up to be,  you have to really change your shot making to get the same results   IE  not nearly as much roll out  soo  a shot you have  down on a certain hole will come up short now   etc

bottom line  is  I like the G10s  get decent spin with the mid irons  the only problem I have is the 25 yard  empty space between my 60 degree ( 90 ) and the PW ( 115)   still , after having them for a couple of months, cant quite figure out how hard , or soft ,  to hit my PW if it is just over 90 .

rambling  I know      sry  lol

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:41 PM

wizbang360:

bottom line  is  I like the G10s  get decent spin with the mid irons  the only problem I have is the 25 yard  empty space between my 60 degree ( 90 ) and the PW ( 115)   still , after having them for a couple of months, cant quite figure out how hard , or soft ,  to hit my PW if it is just over 90 .

Got the same gap in my bag, 98 punch is a good option in some places where a 90 yarder with topspin won't quite make it (provided you are not landing on a downslope).   And for me with GISD balls+ g10 PW I consider the 2nd avatar movement from the top of the backswing to be 100 yards with backspin.  It is fairly easy with some practice to get used to the proper amount of power needed for those shots just over 100 yards using the av, movements as your guide.

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 5:13 AM

Take notes folks comin from the oakmont champ... :)!!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 5:54 AM

You said it Tater. Nice win, Bollox, congratulations. I'm hoping the announcement that WGTNiv alluded to in the other thread is that where you'll be a year from now, Congressional, will be next year's Open course here! :-)

@drew-Bollox is the one that convinced me to go to the G10s. It was good advice but I kept my TM master irons for one reason-they handle wind better. SA is automatic for me with these because elevations aren't a factor and the wind is easy to offset. This is not to say G10s don't but the spin and loft differences make playing with TMs a different game. If you had to chose between the two I would go with the G10s. Expect a bit of a learning curve because spin with those irons isn't needed as much because they land softer.

Whatever you do you will immediately notice a difference in the spin. It won't be your imagination because you will be doubling the clubs' spin capability, going from 2 dots to 4. Those dots do mean something and are worth understanding to see differences. GL

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 9:26 AM

wizbang360:

well    I play the G10s  and rented the G15s    except for the  extra 5 yrds you get with the 15s   there is no advantge  I can see that would compensate for the faster meter.   So  I stayed with the G10s.   but there are times I wish I had gotten the TMs you get a little more spin with them , although  spin is not all it is cracked up to be,  you have to really change your shot making to get the same results   IE  not nearly as much roll out  soo  a shot you have  down on a certain hole will come up short now   etc

For those shots over 90 yds and less than say 102, may I suggest you work with your 115yd wedge in "punch" mode...it is rated at 98 yds and that rating is fairly" true" with backspin...I can get 100 to 102 with it using varying degrees of topspin...the distances I shared are with G12-S balls...will vary if you use balls without spin and, or with extra distance, etc...Harve

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 9:36 AM

BolloxInBruges:
    I consider the 2nd avatar movement from the top of the backswing to be 100 yards with backspin. 

Thx  man      will  check that out,  sounds crazy  but have not used th back swing increments for judging distance  with anything but the putter  since  I frist made pro. Just  never crossed my mind that it would help,  funny how the easy things  get away from us when we think we are good.  lol               ty too hbthree     I use the punch quite often with the other gap I have between wedges ,  will try that too.

Sry  Drew      did not mean to steal  you post.

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 10:39 AM

OMG, i never knew the avatar had increments of movement relative to distance WTF. i always use the swing meter to guess the distance, wow. I am using the G10s and the s 13 balls for a slower meter, Please would someone be kind enough to give some examples of  the avatars movement relative to the G10s and distance, especially the wedge. My avatar won't even look at me when i am shouting at him, never mind help me with distance, thank you in advance

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 11:52 AM

griffy-Watch the club in the backswing from the full position. As you move it to swing it isn't smooth-it "steps" down. What Bollox was talking about is he's figured out how each move affects the distance and uses that.

The best way to figure what works for your setup is to get on a flat fairway (like BPB 10 & 11), hit a full iron and then turn around and hit it back to where you were. Then, hit the same iron but move the backswing down 1 "step" and see the yardage change after you hit it. It helps if you listen to the thump of the ball landing while watching the yardage meter as opposed to taking the full result including roll. This way you can figure out what works for each club as it's not necessarily proportionate across the board. 

Yes, it's a bit of work but it got Bollox to Congressional next year.  ;-)

• PAGES
RSS