Forums

Help › Forums

judging distance.

Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:33 AM (47 replies)
  • saxo1
    16 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 2:48 AM

I am sure I'm not the 1st. to come up with this idea,but the distance thing,is easy if you make a guage,the same length as your meter,and divide it up.I use a laptop so my meter is 80 mm...10 divided by 30,times 80mm.,gives me the guage length 0f 10 ft, Since I have this tool,most of my missed putts are within 1ft. ...Thank-you

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 1:18 PM

yeap, that has been around a while but you should never need that within 5 feet

• ttaylor0024
    13 Posts
    Sat, Jul 17 2010 1:29 PM

You use tape on your laptop screen?

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 8:57 AM

I hope you are taping it on the outer edge and not the screen itself.

• saxo1
    16 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:47 PM

I don't use tape. I marked a strip of wood, so i can side it along against the bottom of the screen...I have also guaged the last 20 yds. of the 3 wedges,as well as ,driver, 3W, 3H , 3,7,8,and 9 irons. It works great when you don't  need a full club.  Keep in mind,when you guage the putter , it will work for any club that is a multiple of 30. 

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:10 AM

Probably an even better method is to watch the segments of the club movements, and divide them into the club's distance - i.e., my 3 iron goes 200 yards, and the club moves 20 times in the backswing, so each segment is 10 yards - now, that's only for my clubs, and only for that particular club...  putters have different numbers of movements, as do other clubs...  and it also helps to play some practice rounds and map out all your clubs' carry and roll distances - you can be deadly accurate when you figure all that out...

I'm still workin' on that, though LOL.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:15 AM

RChapman2010:
    Probably an even better method is to watch the segments of the club movements, and divide them into the club's distance - i.e., my 3 iron goes 200 yards, and the club moves 20 times in the backswing, so each segment is 10 yards -
    A word of caution, not all clubs/shot types have linear power relationships, meaning 75% on the meter will not get you close to 75% of a full shot.  It is a good place to start, but like everything else, you need to develop a feel for it.

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 12:52 PM

I don't use a ruler or anything like that. I feel it is cheating somewhat. I've developed a feel for my clubs and I usually miss right or left. Not short or long. I can usually be within 5 feet of the distance. I think that makes it more realistic. Maybe I could shoot a 58 with a ruler on my screen. But, I'd rather shoot a 64 knowing it was me doing the work not the ruler. The ruler makes it seem too much like Tiger Woods games. A 7 footer is basically a gimmie. In real golf and on here it is not a guaranteed make. I like that it is harder. If I want to shoot a 58 and be 9 shots off the lead I'll play the TW games. But I like how a 64 just won me 200 credits in my CC tournament at St. Andrews.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 1:06 PM

^^^^^^^^   Great take............

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 3:50 PM

I have to agree with AvatarLee, when it comes to irons especially it has to become a feel, knowing the course, the wind and the hole layout. Putting meters are great tools but they are only good for judging speed, you still have to take into account the required putting line which ultimately affects putting speed.

RSS