Forums

Help › Forums

Aim questions

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 8 2010 11:33 AM (1 replies)
  • RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 8:22 AM

OK, just wondering, how do y'all like to aim - moving the pointer, or shaping the shot? I move my pointer and play to the ding, but I'm willing to try something different if it makes a difference...  Now, for instance, on Kiawah #17, if the wind is R to L (toward the green), I will usually try and do a little of both - adjust halfway with the pointer and put a little fade on the shot - but for normal wind conditions moving the pointer works OK...

And just for clarification, let's say there's a 10 mph wind from the SW (towards the 1:00 position), would the net crosswind be roughly 5 mph, and the net side wind 5 mph, etc., etc.?

Anyway, just brain pickin'...  hit me up for a game today, I'm not busy at work :)

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 11:33 AM

Chap,

I always go for the ding on shots with very few exceptions.  Dinging is the best way to control distance and minimize the BEAST.  Occasionally I will try to hold a shot against the wind by missing slightly early or late depending on wind direction but this works against more often than not.  

Here's one exception though.  When I have a tough approach to hold (i.e. Kiawah #9) and have an in between yardage I will take the higher club, swing close to full and miss the center rather substantially to kill some distance.  The reason being when you choke down on your swing the ball comes off much lower and runs out a lot.

example Kiawah 9:  I am left with 164 to the hole with a 11 wind from right to left.  I will take my 175 club, go almost full on the meter, then miss well right of center to counteract wind and kill some distance while still achieving the height needed to hold the green and leave a manageable putt for birdie.

Putting is a much different story.  I use a wide array of strategies depending on the putt but generally use a combo of adjusting aim then missing center to hold against the break.  If putt is straight or close to it I almost always try to ding.  Putts inside 5 feet I rarely aim and rely on the push or pull method.

RSS