Forums

Help › Forums

Best irons to play with for a pro

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 7 2010 10:02 AM (4 replies)
  • Brahmabull
    3 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 6:48 AM

OK, which irons should i use?  I am only a pro player right now. I have the G15's

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 7:07 AM

Learn what you have-that's as good as it gets until you get to Master. If the meter is too fast for you slow it down with a G ball but you have the best right now. GL

*edit* After comparing what you have to what you can look forward too, you will have a distinct advantage by learning those G15 now. The only difference at the Master level is an additional 10 yards and 1/2 dot more precision. The forgiveness and spin are the same so when you do get to Master you will immediately be successful since they will not only be longer but will be  more precise. No new meter to learn and clubs that are longer and more accurate. Where most Pros turning Master suffer a bit I doubt you will.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 8:24 AM

I have had very good success with the Rapture V2 pro set, and used it with success for quite a while after switching to master level. I agree with Yankee, at this level the best approach is to use the equipment you have and master it, then get ready for new equipment and a new learning curve at the master level.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 9:47 AM

YankeeJim:

Learn what you have-that's as good as it gets until you get to Master. If the meter is too fast for you slow it down with a G ball but you have the best right now. GL

*edit* After comparing what you have to what you can look forward too, you will have a distinct advantage by learning those G15 now. The only difference at the Master level is an additional 10 yards and 1/2 dot more precision. The forgiveness and spin are the same so when you do get to Master you will immediately be successful since they will not only be longer but will be  more precise. No new meter to learn and clubs that are longer and more accurate. Where most Pros turning Master suffer a bit I doubt you will.

I found the g15's to be sort of iffy at best. with the 1 dot more precision over the raptures they should have been much more accurate. and as far as any increase in distance over the raptures it is only in the 3 and 4 irons and I believe it starts with the 7 iron through wedge are actually 5 yards shorter than the Raptures. I had no problem with the meter speed due to playing the G15 Driver for something like a month before I tried the irons. To me they just didn't perform as well as they should have.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 10:02 AM

borntobesting:
    I found the g15's to be sort of iffy at best.

Keep in mind the OP is talking as a Pro with the Pro G15s. My suggestion was based on his future as a Master when the loft of the club changes and the precision becomes extremely important. Being able to conquer the meter speed now is a big plus for him as it keeps the learning curve to a minimum.

The forgiveness of a club is at the cost of precision but worse, IMO, it makes it easy to get lazy. Then when the Master precision with the fast meter shows up it's like starting over. 

RSS