Forums

Help › Forums

Gone with the wind lol

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 8 2010 6:36 AM (6 replies)
  • GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 2:26 AM

Played Kaiwah Back 9 Ready Go today and was doing not bad until I reached #17 at 5 under par.

Wind on 17 was 16mph blowing to 2oclock so I clubbed down and aimed well left to allow for wind.

Missed ding slightly left, ball took off from club right and had a swim about 30 yards from shoreline?.'

Slightly peeved I teed up again aiming even further left than before and this time dinged the sweet spot only to have the ball do the same again (straight off the club!).

Knowing I had just witnessed an impossible situation I went on to finish #17 at even par!

Jeez I hate this game sometimes

Perhaps I should upgrade my clubs? What are better than Ping i15's?

Perhaps I need vapor trail balls (Can they swim??)

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 6:25 AM

There is something odd about #17 on Kiawah. Should get some scuba gear and go fishing for all those balls I've lost there.

One thing I've noticed is, that any time I decide to drop down a club, I almost always end up in the drink. That hole has ruined many a good round for me. I rarely ever play that back 9 these days, which saves the pain of suffering at the 17th.

I'd imagine the vapour balls swim like a brick, but you'd think there ought to be a stream of bubbles coming up to the surface of the water.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 6:33 AM

Not saying you did anything wrong, but curious on your aim.  Did you set the aim from the tee view, or from the zoom view? 

Since I stopped aiming from the player view, I have seen very few of those problems like you described. 

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 12:57 PM

neildiamond11790:

Not saying you did anything wrong, but curious on your aim.  Did you set the aim from the tee view, or from the zoom view? 

Since I stopped aiming from the player view, I have seen very few of those problems like you described. 

Neil,

I always use the player view (Width of the aiming box) to adjust for wind and normally it is fairly reliable.

My actual aim was almost 3 boxes wide left of the flag (player view) which I thought would be overkill.

As with most things the answer is always going to be practice.

It's hard to practice this kind of a shot due to the limitations of wgt and it would be great if one of the elite could pop up here with tips on side wind play.

I play Kaiwah almost exclusively so do think that I should understand it better than I obviously do. 

These HIGH winds are not fun:(

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 2:04 PM

FWIW, under the conditions you listed, I would've aimed by the edge of the sand trap, AND missed on the meter by a few pixels to the left of accuracy.

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 2:46 PM

marioh:

FWIW, under the conditions you listed, I would've aimed by the edge of the sand trap, AND missed on the meter by a few pixels to the left of accuracy.

My actual aim on the first shot would have been in the middle of the first (nearest sand trap) and I did click very slightly early (Accidentally:))

This is why I was surprised at the ball going right, straight off the club face?

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 6:36 AM

Goldcard, by your description I think you aimed correctly.  Sometimes the camera angle from behind the player will make it look like you are aiming 15yds left of flag, but in reality you are possible aiming at the flag.  There have been some posts on it, and some math and the angles created by aiming at a point closer then the intended difference.  But in all reality if you use the overhead zoom and move the arrow to the exact yardage (thats the key to know you are actually aiming for the spot you want) you got a case of the VEM altering your shot.  It happens to all of us, but unfortunately it happens often KIA 17 (IMO) which sucks because of the water.

RSS