Forums

Help › Forums

Yardage on St.Andy's 9th

Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:45 PM (7 replies)
  • Stobsbee
    4,784 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 1:43 PM

As St.Andy's 9 is driveable I chose the back of green camera and putting mode so as to position the marker accurately. As you can see from the screen shot in the top right corner the yardage is given as 294yds but the aim marker sitting right on the hole shows as 285yds.

Which one is correct?

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 1:54 PM

Posted yardages are from the tee box to the center of the green.( 294 yards).

The 285 is the actual distance to the pin itself.

• Stobsbee
    4,784 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 1:58 PM

Well everyday's a school day. i did not know that. I've always thought the distance was measured from tee to pin. Thank you for the explanation Jeff, much appreciated.

• GoodyChamp
    595 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 2:01 PM

jeffdos924:

....and some extra info about this subject from another thread...

Hanswurst72:

Hello Cadie,

let me help you with this question. There are basically two different cases of this phenomenon.

The first of those is the normal one, that your drive simply nearly never gets hit directly towards the flag. By that, the addition of your shot lengths is longer than the indicated hole length because you have some "sidewards" length in your shots as well. That surely doesn't effect the result by 37 yard though.

This is where the second reason comes into play. The indicated total hole length is measured from the tee to the respective pin, but it is not measured in a direct way. Instead, for example at Bethpage #14, there are two points on the fairway of this par 5 included in the hole length calculation. One normal drive to the center of the fairway (short left), one normal second shot (in front of the final bunker to the left side) and the final approach to the hole. If you add up these three "regular" lengths, you get the indicated hole length of 489 yards. You can very easily check this by moving the aim marker directly to the front hole location at St. Andrews #9, it will show less yards than the indicated hole length because that one considers one stop short right on the fairway.

I hope I was able to help you.

Cheers, Hans

• DAD111
    582 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 2:07 PM

Stobsbee:

Well everyday's a school day. i did not know that. I've always thought the distance was measured from tee to pin. Thank you for the explanation Jeff, much appreciated.

^ ^ ^ +1

Bob

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 8:02 PM

jeffdos924:

I should have phrased that a little differently, I think. On my local course,  the yardage on the sign on the tee box is from the front of the tee box to the center of the green. The actual yardage could vary by several yards, depending on where the pin is cut on any given day.

WGT doesn't necessarily do the same now that I think about it. A perfect example is on St. Andrews #8... the original back pin is listed at 200-something yards and the front pin is listed as 181 ( from Legend tees).

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:18 PM

You won't have that problem when you reach the back tees, you need a gale at your back just to reach the fringe. :-)

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:45 PM

jeffdos924:

As you found out yourself, this is valid for scorecard indications in RL, yes, but in WGT, no.

Here, the scorecard yardage (1) is given to one "standard" pin, and it cannot be true for any alternative pin. Standard pin on STA#10 obviously is the one in the middle, close to the hollow in front of the green.

(1) corresponding to official scorecards

jeffdos924:

+1

This 285 it is different due to the differing pin position, and it might also be due to a bend in the fairway, a dogleg. This is well visible at BPB #1 where the direct distance is 385 from Legend tees, scorecard length 430 yds.

The air-line distance can easily be spotted by hovering over the blue "player" dot in the overview pic down right.

RSS