Forums

Help › Forums

Difference in Lie

Mon, Dec 11 2023 3:05 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • esty26
    425 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2013 1:49 PM

Just wondering if anybody can enlighten me on the different lies you find yourself in on the course.

I see rough, 1st cut, 2nd cut.

I see 20/25 lie, 30/40, 40/50 etc etc

Which factor is more important, the cut or the depth of lie?

Is hitting the ball in 1st cut 30/40 the same as 2nd cut 30/40? 

I have just begun charting some clubs and lies so at some point I'll be able to answer my own question but any early help would be appreciated.

TIA

Esty

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2013 3:38 PM

I'd say, in any "rough" the percentage tag works the same.

It's different though between rough and sand and fescue and weeds of the same %%, probably getting worse in the sequence I put them.

They also limit the possible clubs.

Nothing longer than PW from 30%+ sand, only up to mid irons from 50+(40+?) fescue/weeds. Sometimes punches work properly under higher %% than full shots.

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2013 5:02 PM

alosso:

I'd say, in any "rough" the percentage tag works the same.

It's different though between rough and sand and fescue and weeds of the same %%, probably getting worse in the sequence I put them.

They also limit the possible clubs.

Nothing longer than PW from 30%+ sand, only up to mid irons from 50+(40+?) fescue/weeds. Sometimes punches work properly under higher %% than full shots.

i have a question wen is it a good time to use that punch shot other then around trees? plz give examples ty...

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2013 5:34 PM

SwingingRoofer:

i have a question wen is it a good time to use that punch shot other then around trees? plz give examples ty...

You can use a punch from the fairway or rough, especially with a wedge(better wedges and balls for best results). If your 85 yarder says it punches 71, then you have another distance covered. Instead of trying to figure out how much power to use on the meter from a full shot, you then need to figure out how much bs/ts to use, if any at all, and how much the wind and lie will affect that distance.

I also use punches with my 3 wood or with an iron from rough, when I need to get some distance provided the way in front is clear for it to land and roll. The trajectory will be lower and will land sooner, so make sure you take into account any hazards in your way.

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 2:31 PM

Here try this 

Fairway 100%

Rough 20-25% =97%

Rough 25-30% = 93%

Rough 30-40% = 89%

Rough 40-50% = 80%

Mulch = 80%

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:42 PM

Joshnosh:

Here try this 

Fairway 100%

Rough 20-25% =97%

Rough 25-30% = 93%

Rough 30-40% = 89%

Rough 40-50% = 80%

Mulch = 80%

^^^

Fairly accurate.

Edit:

Which of course is dependent on wind speed and direction, elevation from rough to green and spin application, as well as club selection(i.e loft). All these things will effect the release of the ball from the rough in relation to how deep you in the nasty stuff.

But at the end of the day anything in 40-50% or worse is for me at least a cross-your-fingers-and-hope-for-the-best scenario lol.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:55 PM

As it hasn't been mentioned so far in this thread I'll just say that the percentage figure shown, is the amount of the ball that is covered, and as such bears no direct resemblance to the extra power needed to achieve a certain distance.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 4:06 AM

courteneyfish:

As it hasn't been mentioned so far in this thread I'll just say that the percentage figure shown, is the amount of the ball that is covered, and as such bears no direct resemblance to the extra power needed to achieve a certain distance.

that is how i see it as well. Also from any rough how good your clubs are also plays a very important role. Some clubs are very good out of the rough and others even with the punch are only so-so out of the rough. However no club works very well out of the heavy weeds @ RSG. In that case just chose your best wedge and shoot sideways back to the fairway and take your bogey or worse and move on. 

• AugustWest82772
    45 Posts
    Tue, Oct 24 2017 4:20 PM
    What's not mentioned is the difference between when you see Rough 30-40% lie versus when it indicates if it's in the 1st cut or 2nd cut and the 20/25 lie, 30/40, 40/50. Obviously, the 40/50 2md cut is the deepest and therefore you need the highest trajectory club but I'm finding when it says Rough 30-40% with no other terms...that it's VERY grabby. Confusing.
  • Highglove
    53 Posts
    Wed, Oct 25 2017 5:06 PM
    AugustWest82772:
    What's not mentioned is the difference between when you see Rough 30-40% lie versus when it indicates if it's in the 1st cut or 2nd cut and the 20/25 lie, 30/40, 40/50. Obviously, the 40/50 2md cut is the deepest and therefore you need the highest trajectory club but I'm finding when it says Rough 30-40% with no other terms...that it's VERY grabby. Confusing.
    Is that by any chance on mobile? I ask because, in my 3 1/2 years on PC I've never seen it indicated whether it's 1st cut, 2nd cut, etc. All I've ever seen is the percentage.
  • PAGES
RSS