Forums

Help › Forums

"March Madness" 2 Player Best Ball Starter Clubs Uneven Lies Open

Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:46 AM (334 replies)
  • mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2013 12:50 PM

This is my first ever attempt at putting on one of these types of tournaments where you try to get the community involved. This concept of using starter gear only in "The Tough- it-Out" tournament really got me more interested in the game and trying to learn it in a different way. And yes it can be very frustrating when you just know you hit the right shot and it comes up way short or way to long. But that is the nature of the game.

I had first thought about having just 9 hole rounds and the final being the only 18 hole round. The reason I thought this would work out a little better was for time it takes to play 18 and the scheduling of such matches. So I have come to realize that it might be better to have all rounds 18 holes due to the fact the final 9 holes are the ones that could determine the outcome of the match. If you think 9 hole matches are quicker to play and less time consuming in your life then we can make a change and go with my original idea. Any input about this is greatly appreciated.

This tourney will be a Single elimination 2 Player Best Ball 18-hole rounds at the two British Open courses, and at the US Open courses, with set conditions for each. The challenge we're making is to see what team can come out on top.

The tourney will be open to all tiers and levels. Everyone will be using the same clubs, balls, green speeds, and lies with a 90 second shot clock. This way we have fair course conditions for everyone. The only advantage that I can forsee is I am going to let you use your own putter. All rounds to be completed within the allotted time frame ( Sunday to Sunday ) thus giving maximum time for the rounds to be played. On the submission form there is a place to submit which is the best playing time for your particular team. The reasoning behind this I want to schedule the pairings as close as possible so one team doesn't have the advantage of practicing after seeing what the other team has posted.

What I would like to do is set it up like the Ryder Cup but in a different way. Kind of like all the Austrailian, African, American and other teams playing against each other. The reasoning behind this approach is to try and make the scheduling easier between the teams. With everyone being in close proximity time zone wise, hopefully everything should run smooth. Teams do not have to be from the same country but try to have a partner who you can schedule a time to play your round and play your round on time. If you are a European and want to have an Australian as your partner fine, just determine how you want to be classified.

Just in case you are not familar with the best ball format it goes something like this:
    Each team has two two members. We'll call them Player A and Player B. On each hole, A and B play their own golf balls off the tee and into the hole. Then they compare scores. What was the lower of the two scores recorded by A and B? That's the team score. So if A got a 4 and B got a 6 on the first hole, then the team score on Hole 1 is 4. If A got a 5 and B got a 4 on the second hole, the team score is 4, and so on.

Example first round would look something like this except both scorecards showing the same holes. The scorecards are from the "Tough-it Out tournament: ( picture these two teams playing against each other but separately. ) Just for an example say team 1 is European ( please don't get upset with me Gary ) playing against Team 2 which is American and so on down the line until the first round is full. Each next round would be the same.

Woodoworkey 31
    mnshiner         0 Team Score 31 ( This team wins match )

BHOESE     25
    MIZZYMAN   10 Team Score 35

As alosso pointed out at the bottom of the page my way of calculating was way off so lets just look at one of the cards and go through it. We will use the second card for this example.
    #10 There was a 6 & a 4 posted. 4 wins the hole
    #11 There was a 4 & a 3 posted. 3 wins the hole
    #12 There were two 4's posted. Even, but still counts as a 4 since there was no best ball
    #13 There were two 5's posted. ( Bogey ) Even, but still counts as a 5 since there was no best ball
    #14 There were two 5's posted. Even, but still counts as a 5
    #15 There were two 4's posted. Even, but still counts as a 4
    #16 There was a 2 & a 3 posted. 2 wins the hole
    #17 There was a 4 & a 5 posted. 4 wins the hole
    #18 There was a 4 & a 6 posted. 4 wins the hole
    So you have 4+3+4+5+5+4+2+4+4=35
    If someone else could explain this better feel free to do so since my writing skills are not that hot.

In the case of two teams tying I am going to need some help with that. So if someone has an idea about that please post it.

You will be able to play a random 3 before hand to get used to the conditions and the 90 second timer. ( I wish they had that timer in single play practice mode. ) All results will be posted using a bracket type form which I will post after the sing-ups are complete. All I ask is a screenshot of the scorecards ( Front & Back 9 only ) unless someone comes up with a way to award prizes. Also one photo on the fairway and one from the green. I will award each member of the winning team credits but at this time still trying to figure that part out.

So grab you a partner, think of a team name and come and join the fun. Please post here if you are interested or have any other ideas.

Sign-up for the Tournament will end February 28th,2013 and will start on March 3rd, 2013.

Sign-Ups are now closed!

The tournament bracket can be found Here

Prizes
    All prizes will be gifted by me and they are:
    Winners Bracket
    Both members of the winning team will receive 1500 credits towards anything in the Pro Shop
    Both members of the losing team will receive 750 credits towards anything in the Pro Shop
    Losers Bracket
    Both members of the winning team will receive 500 credits towards anything in the Pro Shop
    Both members of the losing team will receive 250 credits towards anything in the Pro Shop

Just added to the prize list is CerinoDevito offering an added incentive to the first round
    *Sleeve of GB's to both members of any pair that can shoot -10 on CCC in their tourney round handed in.**
    *** 1000 credits to any single player in a pair that can shoot -10 on their own ball***

Screenshots & Scorecards
    Each Team must post a screenshot of the fairway & green showing Uneven Lies & the Green Speed. Now to really make things interesting and to put some suspense into this tournament, not forgetting the fun, I propose this:
    After you have completed your round is that you post your screenshots and talk about how your round went but send the scorecards to me. I talked about suspense earlier, this is where the suspense kicks in.

Example: Team x posts their screenshots before team y and talks about how their round went without devulging their score. This tells team y that they have played their round but doesn't know what their score is. After all scorecards Front & Back 9 are sent to me I will post them Team vs. Team all in one reply so there is no searching from page to page to find them.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2013 12:59 PM

Here should be all of links that you will need for the tournament.

The link for the main bracket for the tournament:

"March Madness"

The link for the losers bracket will be posted as soon as Round 1 is complete.

Here are the links for the submission forms for all 4 rounds:

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Where to send the scorecards:

mnshiner or if this is easier for you just copy and paste this into your email client
    WGTmnshiner@gmail.com

Web site where all scorecards will be posted:

2 Player Best Ball

• MizzyMan
    52 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2013 6:52 PM

This sounds great as some of us, including yourself, just finished up playing in the Tough it Out II Tournament. I would like to play but only under one condition, my partner must be Hans :) But seriously, count me in once I find a partner.

Mizzy

• Phaxda
    145 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:09 PM

I want to play! 

• barbarella24
    513 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:12 PM

I'll join in, will need a partner though.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:19 PM

Remember only one person on a team needs to sign-up.as it will make it less confusing on my end.

Sign-up Form here

Sign-Ups are now closed!

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:22 PM

<Reserved for Courses & Conditions>

Round 1
    Congressional Country Club
    Mode: Practice
    Tees: White
    Holes: Medium
    Winds: Moderate
    Greens: Very Fast
    Uneven Lies

Round 2
    Royal St. Georges
    Holes: Default
    Greens: Fast
    Uneven Lies

Round 3
    St. Andrews
    Tees: Yellow
    Holes: Hard
    Greens: Very Fast
    Uneven Lies

Round 4
    Kiawah Island
    Hole Location: Hard
    Greens: Tournament
    Winds: High
    Uneven Lies

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:42 PM

Ok, we have 3 so far that are interested with a 4th who has messaged me. Grab yourself a partner and lets have some fun again.

Let me clarify a few things that I wrote in my original post.
    There can be as many teams from a region as need be and players do not have to be from the same region but just specify what region they are playing for.
    Also, if time doesn't permit all 18 holes in one sitting play the front 9 and come back for the back 9 that is fine.
    There will be as many rounds as it takes to determine a winner.
    If you would like to play but cannot find a partner please post in this thread and we will try and pair you up with someone.
    And last but not least, I know there can be dis-connects and other unforseen problems occuring but I am counting on honesty and that no team will re-start a round if off to a bad start.

Sign-up form is available on this page but here is the link again in case you missed it.

Sign-up Form here

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Thu, Feb 14 2013 12:08 AM

<reserved for the teams and their players>

Dreamteam      wassernixe & johehejo representing Europe
    "Maulwurftöter" Hanswurst72 & MizzyMan representing Europe
    Uneven Liars Corwyn & CerinoDevito representing the USA
    Cuppers Wesdogg75 & Fredsf representing the USA
    Wassermänner DragonSan & Cosamia representing Europe
    Unbalanced hyena64 & ArnoldStarnold representing the USA
    Bremskloetze ostfriedel & Klixnix representing Europe
    good kush jeffc46221 & notonthis representing the USA
    Birdierabbits alosso & FairwayRuepel68 representing Europe
    Unbeatables muttsnutts69 & jeffacer62 representing Europe
    The Whining Pussies PUHOLINO & Joshnosh representing Europe.

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Thu, Feb 14 2013 12:19 AM

I'm in, and I'm sure to find a fellow CC mate to team up.

Just a numbercruncher's remark:

Looks like you only counted the scores where a team scored differently. Shouldn't we take the "even" scores into account, too?

(Otherways a team scoring only birdies between them would score zero).

IMHO, the first team's score should be 31 (woodo's score by chance),

team 2 scores 35 from my count (4+3+4+5+5+4 from MizzyMan +2+4+4 from BHoese) making team 1 the winner.

RSS