Forums

Help › Forums

Oakmont not available for country Club tourneys

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 5 2010 7:45 AM (5 replies)
  • borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 9:05 PM

I was just checking out how to create a country club tournament and noticed that Oakmont is not available, is there some reason for this?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 10:30 PM

Hi btb,

It'll be ready shortly after the USGA Virtual Championship.  You'll also have single play and Ready-Go's for Oakmont about the same time.  Not too much longer. =)

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Jul 4 2010 3:12 AM

Thanks Niv

• Dinomacdaddy
    29 Posts
    Sun, Jul 4 2010 7:54 AM

I hear that there are number of people playing with the perfect meter to make sure that they hit the sweet spot every single shot. Is WGT doing something to try to prevent this because I heard from another player that it cannot be detected which would be detrimental to the fairness of the game. I've always questioned some of the scores since they are well below even the top players. Can someone elaboarate on this issue? thanks

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Jul 4 2010 9:24 AM

Dinomacdaddy:

I hear that there are number of people playing with the perfect meter to make sure that they hit the sweet spot every single shot. Is WGT doing something to try to prevent this because I heard from another player that it cannot be detected which would be detrimental to the fairness of the game. I've always questioned some of the scores since they are well below even the top players. Can someone elaboarate on this issue? thanks

There are programs called macros that can do what you are talking about but WGT polices this site for any suspect activity and the programs  are contrary to what you have been told detectable and people who try to use them are caught and banned. That being said let me also say this just because you ding the meter does not mean you hit a perfect shot. There are too many other variables like wind speed and direction, and so forth. A perfectly struck let's say 9 iron where you should have hit an 8 iron is not a perfect shot just a well struck albeit short of the target shot. Or too much club struck perfectly is just a well struck shot that goes over the green and even a perfectly stuck shot with the right club could turn out badly if your aim is poor or you chose the wrong spin to put on the ball. The low scores you see come from many many hours of practice and many many rounds played. And with so few pin placements The best players know how and where to hit each shot for the best results. 

This is most evident on the greens that can be very hard to read at times. A perfectly dinged putt that is aimed even 1/4 of a inch off is just a well struck miss. I can't count the times I lined my putt up and thought I had it dead on dinged the meter and missed the putt badly,also I can't count the times that I had my putt lined up and thought it was dead on and missed the ding badly and watched it track right into the hole.

Another very important factor that make dinging the meter not necessarily make a perfect shot is club precision. Even the most precise clubs available on here can go wrong maybe 1 out of 5 times because the best is 4 of 5 dots or 80% meaning that 20% of the time they can go slightly astray. And with most if not all of the higher precision clubs having lower forgiveness they don't help the 20% awry shots much and if I understand the physics the forgiveness is only supposed to help the few shots that are not dinged. 2 clubs to look at on this are the Pro Rapture driver which as 50/ 50 % precision  but has 80/20% forgiveness and the Master G 10 Driver which has 80/20% precision but only has 40/60% forgiveness. So it takes much more than a dinged meter to play and score well. One of the top players here stated in the forums recently that some of his best rounds he hardly dinged the meter at all and some of his worst rounds were almost all dinged. He said it was all in where you miss the ding. My best shot on here so far, my only stroke play hole-in-one was made with an intentional slight late click to compensate for a very slight right to left wind.

• Danowadd
    72 Posts
    Mon, Jul 5 2010 7:45 AM

I myself use the meter as a compensator for playing the breaks. You can intentionally stop it early or slightly late to help hold the ball in the proper line. This also takes many hours of practice..For every round I post, you can be sure there were several practice rounds.

Lately my longer 15-20+ foot putts are starting to drop, and I credit this to "playing the blade"..similar to the real course putts of hitting the heel or toe of the putter for a firmer or softer roll..

Every player can line up the same putt and stroke it perfectly and still miss. Learning to land your approach on the side of the green with the least break would be my advice...and that friends is where the hours of practice pays off..

Ben Hogan once said--'You get out of golf exactly what you put into it...the results are right there on the ground in front of you.'  

No tricked out meter for me thank you, even if it were free. I want to play this game and have the satisfaction of knowing that I made that 30 foot putt with 18 inches of break myself..Does this make sense to everyone?

RSS