Forums

Help › Forums

long drive

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 1 2010 2:38 PM (7 replies)
  • wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 3:18 PM

not sure if it is a bug or not,  but  I had a 389 yrd drive on hole 3 st andys  ended on the fringe on the back right of the green    but did not get a new long drive .

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 3:47 PM

Fringe is not green or fairway so you are SOL.............

Happy hitting

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:49 PM

thought they were gonna fix that ,  with all the drivable greens.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 8:26 PM

wizbang360:

thought they were gonna fix that ,  with all the drivable greens.

They did, if you hit it on the green or in the fairway it counts - In the rough, sand or fringe it doesn't. 

Think of it this way, if you hit your 2nd shot on a par 4 in the fringe, you haven't reached the green in regulation.  So the fringe is really just an extension of the rough, very light rough, but still rough. 

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 9:56 PM

But if a real golfer hits his drive on the fringe, i don't think it counts as a missed fairway.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2010 5:50 AM

jcs89:

But if a real golfer hits his drive on the fringe, i don't think it counts as a missed fairway.

was thinking the same thing would it not be an extention of the Fairway or better yet the green,  not the rough? 

thx  Mem   for the info though!

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2010 6:50 AM

wizbang360:

jcs89:

was thinking the same thing would it not be an extention of the Fairway or better yet the green,  not the rough? 

thx  Mem   for the info though!

You know, you guys may be right, I've looked but I can't find how driving into the fringe effects "Driving Accuracy" or whether or not it is considered "Missing the Fairway".

I guess I'm looking at it from WGT's perspective.  In golf, there are really only two places you want to be - In the fairway or on the green.  You're penalized for being anywhere else.  The fringe is certainly not the worse place to be, but it still is not where you want to be.  WGT is saying if you can't hit your drive in the fairway or on the green, it doesn't count.  I don't necessarily agree, but I don't get to make the rules :-)... Good Luck.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2010 2:38 PM

Mem11:
    if you can't hit your drive in the fairway or on the green, it doesn't count.
    makes  sense.   I guess if you end in a penalty position wether it be rough , bunker, or fringe it should not count.

RSS