Help › Forums

Why is pro pro?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 28 2010 10:42 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • rowan76
    21 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2010 3:19 PM

Can someone from WTG please tell me why averages of mid 70's plus are considered pro in the game? Hardly realistic is it? I can assume it is simply to make money.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2010 3:36 PM

The tiers are arbitrarily named and designated.  Your tier is just a way to separate players into groups so you are competing against players of a similar skill level in tournaments.  There's no official "Hack" or  "Master" status in real golf either, but this is also a game.  Besides grouping players into similar skill levels and limiting what clubs you can purchase, tier really has no bearing on anything.

Tier promotion makes money for the player, not us.  Earning a promotion nets you a small bonus you can use in the pro shop to upgrade your equipment.  As always it's a voluntary decision whether you wish to purchase upgrades or not and no purchase is required to play the game.  You can play for free for as long as you'd like.

• rowan76
    21 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2010 3:38 PM

My highest finish in a tournament is 477th?!?! So that's my point, I am not competing against players of my skill level. My scores would be competitve in the amateur tier only.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2010 3:55 PM

Your best finish may be 477th, but there are a few thousand entrants in most of those tournaments.  You're generally right in the middle of your tier.  Being competitive is not determined by your chances of winning, rather,  it's where you place versus the rest of your peers.

In all tiers there will always be a spread from top to bottom.  No matter where the numbers fall there will always be players who have a tough time competing and may finish near the bottom more often than they'd like.  But, if we were to drop all of those players from the pro tier into the Amateur tier then you have a whole new group of players finishing at the bottom of the Amateur Tier.  It's cyclical, so we have to draw a line somewhere.

You were promoted to Pro because at some point you exhibited the ability over your best 10 of your last 14 rounds to get below the score requirement, so you demonstrated the ability to compete in the Pro tier by doing that.

More tiers will released in the future to help narrow down the gap between the top and bottom levels, but no matter how many tiers there are and no matter what the numbers are there will always be folks who struggle near the bottom of that tier.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2010 7:52 PM

Well, not if you had a million and a half tiers!

• rowan76
    21 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:12 AM

My point I guess is, Pro tier should be for people who would shoot par or under 10 times out of 20, not one time out of 20.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:57 AM

Keep practicing and that once in a blue moon score will be more common. How many people were below you in that 447th finish?  What tier should they be?

I dont mean to rag on you too much, but you sound like a broken record, similar to your other posts.  You have been on here for 3 months, and have beginners gear.  While some players on here can compete with beginners gear, most can't.  Keep practicing, give it some time, and lower your expecations.  You are not the best player on here, you can't drop tiers, and there are always going to be people that play more, practice more than you and are willing to drop a couple bucks for better equipment.  Being the best amateur means only one thing, you will be a pro by the next time you sign in.

• rowan76
    21 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 2:35 PM

Maybe I sound like a stuck record because no one ever answers the question. I get the point that there must be Tiers. But the game is supposed to be a realistic golf experience. So having thousands of players classed as pro that can't shoot rounds under par is hardly realistic. The game is not about skill but about money on the whole. Who spends the most wins the most.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 3:19 PM

Rowan76... there are pros in real life and there are pros in real life.  The pros you see on TV do tend to average around or a bit under par.  The pros you see at golf courses (head pro, assistant pro, teaching pro) or at driving ranges tend to shoot in the mid 70's to 80's.  True story.  Which goes to show that the word "pro" is a subjective thing in terms of scoring.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 4:08 PM

rowan76:
    The game is not about skill but about money on the whole. Who spends the most wins the most.

I can only speak for myself on this head. My 8 months in the pro tier was the most enjoyable time I have spent here. I played the entire period with all starter clubs until I earned enough credits to purchase a 100 credit driver, later a  first step 3 wood and then an equal hybrid and always using starter balls. I came in first in several tournaments, and usually was in the top placing week after week. Without spending a dime. I miss being a pro. It was fun knowing I had a great chance at victory as each new week began. I worked my way into this charming position by not spending money, but by spending time and effort along with my desire to become good. If I can, you can. Love the pro tier, for as long as you can.

• PAGES
RSS