Forums

Help › Forums

50 most "Diabolical" US Courses...

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 19 2010 9:06 PM (3 replies)
  • Showtime29
    70 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 12:23 PM

So just got done reading the ESPN Travel article about the "50 most DIABOLICAL courses in America"

http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=5257610

WGT members will be quite familiar with this list....

1.THE OCEAN COURSE | Kiawah Island, S.C.
    2. THE INTERNATIONAL | Bolton, Mass.
    3. KOOLAU | Kaneohe, Hawaii (Oahu)
    4. PGA WEST/STADIUM | La Quinta, Calif.
    5. OAKMONT | Oakmont, Pa.
    6. BETHPAGE/BLACK | Farmingdale, N.Y.
    7. TOT HILL FARM | Asheboro, N.C.
    8. WHISTLING STRAITS | Haven, Wis.
    9. PINE VALLEY | Pine Valley, N.J.
    10. TOBACCO ROAD | Sanford, N.C.

Knowing only of these courses through WGT (in terms of playing), it is a SHOCKER to me that Kiawah is the #1 on this list.  I live in Westchester County, so I have heard first hand from those who have played Bethpage Black, as well as Winged Foot which came in at # 11. 

To think that Kiawah can play at that high a level is an eye opener to me. I guess you just bypass certain "pressure" shots when you are doing them digitally, as opposed to having the wind whipping in your face and trying to execute them.

Pretty cool article either way...

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 1:59 PM

The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island is pretty insane.

Sand, sand, and more sand makes it pretty intimidating (yes I know Oakmont has almost 200 sand traps). I've never played it in real life, but I doubt it plays the same way it does here at WGT, even for low handicap golfers.

Not surprised at the list though, rofl.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 3:39 PM

PGA West is in a class of it's own. Played it twice with a low hdcp and have yet to break 90...and never will. An extremely long nightmare with enough goofy sand to turn a teatotaler into a lover of ardent spirits.

• TomFetner
    34 Posts
    Sat, Jun 19 2010 9:06 PM

Tobacco Road is the course I zip right by on my way to play the good old fashioned courses at Pinehurst.  I'm not going to pay $90 to lose $45 worth of Pro V1x's.  The late Mike Strantz loved to torture North Carolinian's with his diabolical designs.

RSS