Forums

Help › Forums

Arrgghh DAMN CHIPPING

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:27 PM (1 replies)
  • WYCHEWES
    96 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 4:36 AM

Why is it that on virtually all courses chipping is a nightmare. Oakmont is shocking .... ok I know there is fine tuning to be done there. The courses with pronounced rough around greens make it downright dangerous to chip or pitch and then flopping seems to work slightly more often but all these Short Game skills are continually compromised by this. Many players I play rounds with have the same difficulties and I'm talking Master Level  players who rely on the short game skills to get close to the pin.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please??? Thankyou in advance for your contributions here to this post.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:27 PM

Chip and Pitch Tips was written by one of the best players here. It's in the FAQs and should get you going. Basically, though, when chipping you need to know 2 things. The first bounce must be on the green and the shot will roll. Throw in those fast greens and you're in for a ride, especially if you're chipping from above the pin.

Flopping is an excellent shot to minimize this roll out but you need to practice with it to see just how much. Keep in mind, as in the real game, a flop is executed by laying the club flat on the ground which causes it to go right. Aim left accordingly. GL

RSS