Forums

Help › Forums

Wicked St.Andrews Wind

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 15 2010 5:20 PM (3 replies)
  • EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:28 PM

Is it just me or does St.Andrews always have 'bad' wind? Last week I played the multiround tourney, and ALL but 1 had side or headwinds of over 20mph. As someone with a starter driver, this was a killer.

If it was a one-off I wouldn't have minded. However, playing the unlimited 9 today, I had ALL side and headwinds. Annoyed, but just thinking I was being unlucky, I tried again. Guess what? First 5 holes were the same! (No idea about the other. Gave up in annoyance by this point)

Please tell me it isn't just me this happens to!

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:39 PM

Have you been to Scotland? Seriously though it would make it a better test if we had the odd calm day.

• TarheelsRule
    5,482 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:41 PM

I have been to Scotland and played in wind there.  One of the flaws in WGT is that you can't have all bad wind at St Andrews and Kiawah.  St Andrews runs out and back in as do most Scottish courses, you have about 7 holes straight out (the same direction) a few cross holes and then 7 more back in.  The wind on holes 1 - 7 should be the same and the opposite on the back nine.  If you play at Kiawah, the holes run up and down the coast, mostly in two directions, although the 5th hole on the front is sort of sideways.  Holes 10 - 13 run south and 14 - 18 north, the wind should relfect that and be consistent, instead you have a tailwind on 10, a head wind on 11, etc.

• GSilva
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 5:20 PM

I feel for you!!

I have upgraded my driver and other clubs, but playing the Open Qualifier is absolutely rediculous!!!

I use to have a rating of 70.7 but after playing (practicing) on St Andrews in tournament conditions (The Open) everything has gone to crap.

To make things worse....Playing Oakmont...LMAO.. has detroyed my game....as if I had one anyway...lol

If you like 500 yard par 4's, 300 yard par 3's and putting on concrete, Oakmont is for you.

I am giving up on Oakmont because it is NO fun at all.  I will stick to the Ready-go Tourneys, at least I have a chance there

How the hell anyone even breaks par on that course is a total mystery to me!!!

RSS