Forums

Help › Forums

The game in tournament form...

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 17 2010 12:44 PM (8 replies)
  • tommy2x4
    14 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 8:00 AM

i've been playing this game for awhile now.  i really enjoy playing the game, until the course is turned into a tournament course.  i can't tell you enough how frustrating the greens are.  they might as well be ice!  i play with stock equipment, so making the fairway is next to impossible most of the time. 

i find myself playing less and less...

just what i'm feeling...

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 9:24 AM

tommy2x4:

i've been playing this game for awhile now.  i really enjoy playing the game, until the course is turned into a tournament course.  i can't tell you enough how frustrating the greens are.  they might as well be ice!  i play with stock equipment, so making the fairway is next to impossible most of the time. 

just what i'm feeling...

Then just don't play the qualifiers. There are still many weekly and monthly free tournaments that are not set up like the US open. 

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 11:12 AM

This is just for tournament and happens twice a year or so. I agree with WGT to reward the excellence and some masters really like the challenge. I play it from time to time and really like it too. I most probably won't make the cut and I'm OK with it. When I'm under the 1 Hole = 1 Bogey mark (ie. +18 and less) I walk away happy. I surprised myself making some birdies on it.

Like Borntobesting said, there's plenty of 'normal' rounds all year long and you can play Oakmont with standard greens too (and I've made par so it's 'the greens', not the course!)

You said you're playing with stock equipment. St. Andrews and Kiawah are the perfect places for them. The rest, forget it. You need to upgrade.

Don't give up!

Rob

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 10:49 AM

A) They're NOT meant to be easy

B) NO ONE & I REPEAT NO ONE shot any of those phenominal scores on their 1st try

C) Congrats for making the 100th thread complaining about course difficulty for the opens

• mah52
    2 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 6:30 AM

My goal is to break 100.  It's hard when you can't reach the fairway on your drive, but that's the game of golf.  Shot 105 today, I'm improving, just have to stop the 4 and 5 putt greens.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 6:50 AM

tommy2x4:

just what i'm feeling...

Just like the real us open, its set up to be as hard as possible

• johncarlon51
    10 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 7:25 AM

I am a new player here at WGT and can tell you from my experience on the real course, and observing the real pro's...lol...not me..lol...that as I attempt to make a putt at Oakmont, a vision comes into my brain of the same putt missed by a few of my favorite golfers like Mickleson and others, ...and really is amazing to see the way you must place your shots on the green. .  I usually do not read the putt as accurately as they do of course but do think the game is extremely challenging.  I am learning to take all information into account and see my putting slowly improving.  However, the swing bar is crazy but if it were always nice and slow we would shoot unrealistic scores in the 40's....some of the low 60's on St. Andrews are hard to believe.  Just keep working at it and it will come to you eventually and leave again..LOL just like the real game!!!  Oh if I could only putt.:)))

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 7:32 AM

tommy2x4:

just what i'm feeling...

Listen to what the players are currently saying about the setup for the US OPEN

@ Pebble Beach. Super fast greens- gotta know where to leave your approach-

stay out of the rough or punch out-etc..Remember when Angel Cabrera won the

US OPEN in 2007 @ Oakmont  he finished 5 OVER par.

The only point I see in this discussion ,worthy of note, is that the amount of times

you can qualify should be limited to something less than unlimited. That would be

realistic, because everything else is.  

• tommy2x4
    14 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 12:44 PM

thanks for the constructive replies.  it's a game i know...at the same time i am just frustrated and i don't have extra cash to go buy imaginary golf clubs.  lol..oh well..i was just venting and Your Welcome on creating the 100th thread about the greens.

RSS