Forums

Help › Forums

Dodgey Putt

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 12 2010 10:49 AM (3 replies)
  • eggbomber
    3 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 5:22 PM

Putting from the fringe 5th Kiawiah fast green 19 ft, 9 in downhill. I used the 30 ft putter used about 1/3 power the shot went 53 ft. It was like the scale had changed to yards like it does sometimes but it definately wasn't displayed as such.

I have saved a replay of it, if you would like to check it out.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2010 6:42 AM

eggbomber:
    It was like the scale had changed to yards like it does sometimes but it definately wasn't displayed as such.

That 30 foot scale was probably a 30 yard scale which happens to be the 90 foot scale.

You should get in the habit of checking this because sometimes, from the fringe, your default scale will be in yards, not feet. The scales are still the same, you just have to divide by 3 to get the feet. In your example you would have used the 10 yd scale if you wanted to putt 30 feet.

On a side note, eb-with that Redwood putter you don't have to use "about 1/3 power" type of estimating your putt strength. I suspect you wanted to hit that putt 10 feet (by estimating 1/3 of 30.) WGTNiv wrote Putting Tips in the FAQs. It is a real good way to  learn that putter and get very precise with it. Pictures make it very understandable and I think you would benefit from it. GL

• eggbomber
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2010 6:36 PM

I'm pretty sure I checked the scale, but I might have seen 30 and thought it was feet not realising the yard scale also has a 30.

Thanks, but I have a better way of estimating putt strength. I have developed an excel spreadsheet that I put under the scale it gives me pretty precise marks taking into account wind,slope & lie.

• Hairry
    14 Posts
    Sat, Jun 12 2010 10:49 AM

I have played other games when the distance gage has changed from feet to yards and it sucks, if you didn't pay attention.  I think the distance should turn to red if it is yards.  it might help to see a different color to us be aware that it is in yards, when we were use to feet?

I've had a problem with miss hits, when I hit the ball perfect.  I had a pitch shot with a LB that I hit perfect (dead on center) and it went 3 feet and stopped.  It is sad that the game takes away a good shot! 

Have any of you had the same type of bad shots when you hit the ball perfect? 

RSS