Help › Forums

The 9th hole at Oakmont

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 23 2010 9:46 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gmurf
    22 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:10 AM

Ok folks, Im wondering how your playing this hole, because it is killing me thus far, ruining rounds of 3 and 4 under after 8 holes played going into it. The green is insane if you go long, im thinking I should start aiming for the bunkers before the hole and try and land in there with a flop going uphill for my 3rd shot, and maybe get the odd bounce up short of the hole, because so far ive been left with roughly 180-200 yards left and have squeezed the ball onto the green but it just shoots on and on leaving a huge and bloody impossible putt!

Anybody else have some tips as how to play the hole?!!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:19 AM

Try aiming in reverse view just to the left of the front edge of the trap near the front of the green. There is a slight slope there that will steer the ball towards the hole, usually winding up past it but with the right speed the ball will hit the slight incline just past the hole and roll back. 

If you can clear the trap AvatarLee has a replay of how to do it but it also shows how the ball will hit that incline and roll back. I find I'm happy just to have a putt for birdie from anywhere on that green! GL

• gmurf
    22 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:51 AM

Thanks Yankee il try out what you said!

Yea ive literally 4 putted the green the last few times its just killed my momentum and score!!! My game is very scratchy at the moment gonna have to do some serious practise to make the cut! I wish there was an option to  practise a single hole (or even shot) over and over!

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:08 AM

Just a note...

That shot on Avatarlee's profile is from the CTTH. It was a 6 iron. We are hitting 3 and 4 irons into this so I don't see it working.

Happy hitting

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:17 AM

You're right, Soul. It was more to show that slope in back of the pin and how it can keep the ball in play if the speed's right. Playing to the front of the green would hopefully get that same type of roll.  The problem is hitting the right side of the slope in front to get the ball going to the right. :-)

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:20 AM

I just had visions of Gmurf wailing away with a 3 iron, cursing your name, hunting you down and pulling an Elin on your head.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:25 AM

LMAO. Now I gotta look over my shoulder. Too funny.......   :-D

• gmurf
    22 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 8:30 AM

Haha brilliant...

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 8:41 AM

My tactic (slightly pathetic I must admit) is to just play it calmly into the bunker. After a few times doing this you get to be an expert on the shot from the bunker and you usually ensure par, which is OK on that hole.

• gmurf
    22 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 1:04 PM

Thats exactly what im thinking seveking, it leaves a nice uphill chip which isnt too big! The greens are just insane they cant be messed with!

• PAGES
RSS