Forums

Help › Forums

How to determine the green characteristics

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:31 AM (9 replies)
  • Nyllet
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 1:14 AM

I wonder if there's a way to find out how the characteristics of a certain green looks like when I'm approaching it from distance. For instance - standing 50 yards from it trying to chip to ball as close as possible to the hole. Several times the ball has travelled too far away from the hole because of an slope in the green that I didn't was aware of. Is it possible to enable the grid from "outside" the green?

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 2:26 AM

You can switch to flop shot or putt to get a view of the slopes, but after a while you just have them all memorized anyway and you won't need to.

• Nyllet
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 3:26 AM

BolloxInBruges:

You can switch to flop shot or putt to get a view of the slopes, but after a while you just have them all memorized anyway and you won't need to.

Oki, thanx for your quick response. I'll try that.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 5:24 AM

I switch to a long iron pitch shot when i want to read the green from around 50 yards... Just make sure you switch back to your wedge when you're done or you won't like the result...

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 10:28 AM

overthetop2:

I switch to a long iron pitch shot when i want to read the green from around 50 yards... Just make sure you switch back to your wedge when you're done or you won't like the result...

Oh yes, destroyed a good round by forgetting to do that. If you're in multiplayer though, it does give everyone else a good laugh at your expense.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 1:39 PM

TheZiggy:

overthetop2:

Oh yes, destroyed a good round by forgetting to do that. If you're in multiplayer though, it does give everyone else a good laugh at your expense.

...this and also when you're on the fringe and forget that the distance is in yards instead of feet... darn!

Rob

• pardog06
    53 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 4:55 AM

Standing 50 yrds from green does not allow you to generate nuff club speed to spin ball..hence the extra travel of ball across green..Try useing better course manegment!Idealy on a par 4 instead of driveing the ball up to 50 to green,Try useing 3wd and leaving yourself 90yrds or a full wedge from green..That way you use all of the club and get its full spin.This will allow you to place ball on a stamp instead of accounting for run! Good luck to all and hit em straight..

Pardog06

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 5:06 AM

pardog06:

Standing 50 yrds from green does not allow you to generate nuff club speed to spin ball..hence the extra travel of ball across green..Try useing better course manegment!Idealy on a par 4 instead of driveing the ball up to 50 to green,Try useing 3wd and leaving yourself 90yrds or a full wedge from green..That way you use all of the club and get its full spin.This will allow you to place ball on a stamp instead of accounting for run! Good luck to all and hit em straight..

Pardog06

All well and good pardog06. Course management is important, as you say. But if your 90 yard shot lands on a downslope the spin is lost and the ball will run.

I purchased a Satin 64 degree wedge and (except for the ice rink at Oakmont) can stop most 50 yard shots on a dime (and give 9 cents change). I use a ball that has a bit of spin control too. With that satin 64 I can stop most any shot between 20 and 47 yards within a foot of the landing spot.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:01 AM

It all depends on what wedges you have Cowboy.

Pardog is right about having a full shot is much better than a half shot.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:31 AM

there  are some on here  that carry 4 wedges   for that very reason,  not wanting the half shot.  I think taking notes  on the greens in a course book       just like the pros        is the best way to avoid this issue all together, then you know  on hole 1 at st andy you want to hit it just a tad longer, to account for the rise in elevation,  and to the left of the pin to get it close........as an example

RSS