Forums

Help › Forums

5th hole at st andrews

Sun, Jun 6 2010 3:17 PM (5 replies)
  • pricey300
    44 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 5:45 AM

has anyone noticed that lump thing in the middle of the fairway at st andrews, hole number 5? what the hell is that thing?

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 5:59 AM

I believe and someone correct me if I am wrong, it is a old wooden yardage marker

edit....

"A couple of times I ran across these tombstone looking things in the middle of some fairways. I figured they were yardage markers but I was wrong. I stopped to ask a volunteer and he told me that they were field boundary markers. I guess the Old Course was at one time a field and these tombstones marked the boundaries of the field. He also said that on some of the markers one side has a G and the other side and R. The G stands for golf and the R for rabbits. Very interesting."

Cheers

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 6:07 AM

if you hit it, you magically appear on the green! :p no...it is a marker i think, never got close enough to read it mind!

• ccrume
    138 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 6:26 AM

There is more info in another thread, here

• pricey300
    44 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 2:38 PM

cheers for the answers, it looks like it's a piece of grass thats been hacked up from a mower but i'm sure an old tombstone is the proper answer

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 3:17 PM

It's an old distance marker made from stone. It tells the distance to the town centre and it dates back to 1874. You wouldn't want to stub your toe on it ;^)

RSS