Forums

Help › Forums

Heavy Winds?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:24 PM (8 replies)
  • PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 3:12 PM

Why are the majority of Tournaments Heavy winds,,I find them Dull ,,Time consuming,And hugely irritating,Why not just speed up the greens like Oakmont,BP,Back nine,,HVY Wnd,,,Kiawa fnt,nine Hvy,wnd,,Both st,andrews nine holes are HVY Winds,,Bp front nine Hvy,winds,,Its tedious in my opinion,And il be interested to know how many players enjoy playing these 30 mph winds,I'm sure there are alternative options to toughen up the course..

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 3:21 PM

PRIESTESS:

...And il be interested to know how many players enjoy playing these 30 mph winds...

I for sure don't. I wish the wind was never above 18mph. It's just too fast...

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 5:42 AM

It's definitely a big challenge to play in heavy winds, and can be tedious, especially if you keep finding a 30mph wind in your face on all the worst holes for it to be that direction. Over 9 holes I don't mind it too much, but for a full 18 hole round, it becomes too much.

The real issue, as I see it though, is that there are so many of the tournaments coming up with heavy wind conditions.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:42 AM

TheZiggy:

It's definitely a big challenge to play in heavy winds, and can be tedious, especially if you keep finding a 30mph wind in your face on all the worst holes for it to be that direction. Over 9 holes I don't mind it too much, but for a full 18 hole round, it becomes too much.

But there's already variation in the Heavy wind speeds, I've seen it range from high teens to low 30s in a round at St. Andrews.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:47 AM

Agreed some variety on this front would be nice.

Never seen high teens at Andy's in Heavy Winds, low 20's sometimes, usually 20 -30 and if a 19 did show up it was like a small miracle and seen once or twice at most out of 60 rounds there!  Moderate is usually 10 - 22 or so.

The main point is to just have different winds at any rate like moderate or low (however low at Andy's for the Master tier is probably a no-no where as at BPB or Oakmont low can suffice just fine)

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:33 PM

I made exactly the same point a while back Priestess. I find it boring and would far rather there was a combination of wind and green speed used in tournament play. The bizarre thing for me is that I have scored far better on St Andrews in high winds than I have so far been able to in moderate. It's not about difficulty, it's about variety for me.

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:13 PM

I just think high wind Tourneys should be in the Minority not the Majority,,it gets very  tiring, and for me its not enjoyable,13 to 20 winds i think are ok, But 29 and 30s are just too extreme,as you say Tiffer they are more than capable of making the course harder to play without,Resorting to just bumping the wind way up its a lazy way of doing things,,

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 9:57 PM

It's great of you to point out this issue Tess, I'm damn tired of the high wind also ! Week in and week out we're just bombarded with a bunch of high wind tourneys, what ever happen to variation ?!  And as you've mentioned here,  there are other factors available like pin positions, green speeds as well as different tees set up to make it all more interesting and challenging.  

The Ready-gos are also in the same mold in that the course conditions are changed about once every 2-3 months, it can't be that hard and time consuming to change them once a month ! 

With the release of Oakmont the game is now on a different level in terms of the entertainment value.  All we need now is for some one to take care of some minor things and WGT's offering is just about unbeatable.  From a business point of view this is the time to build on the foundation you've built up in the last 2-3 years and really pull in some big numbers in term of income and sales.  It'd just be such a waste otherwise because WGT will lose so much potential business from players quitting.  I hope MisterWGT is reading this post, bet he won't be too happy that's for sure ! lol !

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:24 PM

Very well presented Vic,,Come on WGT we have had enough of the hurricane winds,,Its time to move things along and show some more variety in the ready gos,Its costing me a fortune on Hair Spray, and my cap has gone flying off so many times ,My caddy has lost 2 stone in weight picking it up.

RSS