Forums

Help › Forums

The Time Bomb Called Oakmont

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 12 2010 8:33 AM (7 replies)
  • jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 5:56 PM

To paint the picture....let's take a look at the scorecard below.

So here's the deal.  I make the turn with the wind in my sails. A very respectable -5.  From the fairway hit a beautiful 8 iron from 145, balls takes a few hops and right in the hole.

http://www.wgt.com/gameclient.aspx?view=showReplay&JSON={%20%22GUID%22%20%3A%20%22f5422388-4fee-41da-9d88-9d890154abc3%22%2C%20%22Brand%22%20%3A%20%22undefined%22%20}

Birdie 11 and 12 to go -9 through 12 holes.  Here's where the fun begins.  I stand on the 13th tee thinking pull the ball 10 yards left of the pin because we've never made par from 5 ventures in the right bunker.  I take my swing and engage meter 4 stops before center......ENTER GOLF GODS.

GG:  I think it's time to work a little magic on this imbecile that thinks he's going to tame the beast called Oakmont.

(Meter engaged but pauses 4 short of center as intended then jumps rapidly and engages 5 late of center.  The protagonist finds himself in the pit of hell and will face a decision)

js7:  Thanks guys but I'm going to bang this one up on the green and take my chances with a par putt from 20 feet.  I'm not afraid to take my medicine.

(14 yards to pin js7 dings a flop full 29 from 14 yds in the 30 40 sand.  Ball goes absolutely nowhere.  js7 tries again with same exact shot and same exact results.  js7 decides that this may be like pitching from mulch on Kiawah #7 and opts for a full swing shot to 30 on the meter from the same 14 yards he was 2 shots ago.  Again the shot is dinged but this time it bobbles up in the rough just out of the trap.)

js7:  NOOOOOOOOOO.  GD MFN PSO!!!!!

(js7 is blind from rage and hacks the ball 30 feet past pin to make the green in 5, 4 over regulation.  js7 hits firm putt that catches lip and spins to 4.5 feet.)

GG:  Let's shake this boy up a little more with a good old fashioned meter freeze.

(js7 missed badly, 3 putts and walks off the green with a quintuple bogey, his first since his days as a hack)

Had to share.  Wow what a ride.  With a chance to shoot the first ever 59 on Oakmont in US Open conditions, the gods played havoc with me.   Par on the hole which I tried to play safe off the tee results in a +5.   Par on the hole and the 2 birdies I made following results in 59.  Don't know if there's a bug with that bunker on 13,  Had been there before but shot always came right out.  Morale of the story, avoid the right trap on Oakmont #13 at all costs.

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:09 PM

Sorry Jake, meter freezes happen to everyone. Maybe more for you, but it's not WGT's fault.

Here is where you have to ask yoursel: who the f hits flop outta 30/40 sand...you did it twice...

I'll give you more *** on IRC.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:36 PM

At least you are never lucky, only unlucky with the swing meter you never fix. Nice round! ~SP~

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:49 PM

iconian:
    Sorry Jake, meter freezes happen to everyone. Maybe more for you, but it's not WGT's fault.

Kook Boy.  Who ever said anything about it being WGT's fault?  Don't make the Hulkster come out and put a whoopin on you boy! 

Just wasn't meant to be.  And yes I learned my lesson about the flop from that sand.  Had a big lip to get over but first full swing I decided to take should have cleared. 

And SP, I've done everything I can to fix my m***er probs short of buying a new computer which sadly I can't afford.  Without my beloved m***er issues I still would have carded a dastardly triple of my own volition.  :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:55 PM

jakestanfill7:
    And SP, I've done everything I can to fix my m***er probs short of buying a new computer which sadly I can't afford.

Nevertheless, it was a superfine round and I admire the outcome...way to go!

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 9:31 AM

Stay Tuned for the Sequel

"Jake Triple Bogeys St Andrews #13 and 17"

Coming soon to a theatre near you

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 10:14 AM

iconian:

Here is where you have to ask yoursel: who the f hits flop outta 30/40 sand...you did it twice...

That's all I ever had done for the most part.

Now after seeing those flops fall short, then waiting for my anger to subside, I now see flopping isn't exactly a good choice out of a bunker that needs alot of carry.

A better question is who the hell is raking these bunkers? I haven't seen a non-buried lie since I've been playing it. Who's responsible for this? The caddies, greenskeepers?? Use the rake would u!!!! Buried sand lies happen once in a week by my experience, not EVERY time. 

But I disgress, sorry for ya Jake, but all my rounds have been like that. Oakmont hates me, I'm sure of it.

• SevenIron6
    13 Posts
    Sat, Jun 12 2010 8:33 AM

Here's a quote fromJake:

"14 yards to pin js7 dings a flop full 29 from 14 yds in the 30 40 sand.  Ball goes absolutely nowhere.  js7 tries again with same exact shot and same exact results."

If it wasn't for my chipping/pitching AND putting, i might have a decent game, but i can RELATE to Jake's quote. I know this has nothing to do with meter freeze. It has to do with thinking you've got the right power for the shot and it goes NOWHERE or hobbles a few feet when you've got a 12- 25yd shot! Aggravating! Then, i try to compensate with added power and the ball goes too far to the rough on the other side of the green!

RSS