Forums

Help › Forums

Match Play Challenge Bug.

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 29 2010 11:29 PM (3 replies)
  • WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 3:16 PM

I was playing a Match Challenge.  300 credits on the line.  I am up 2.  All of a sudden my back swing freezes, and I have to shut down the window and reconnect.  3 more times there are loading issues.

Now if there are loading issues and I wait it out, I loose because I did not "come  back" in five minutes.  But if If there is a laoding issue and I close the window, to "slap" my session I get dinged for "disconnecting"

Needless to say I lost 300 credits while being up 2 holes, just because the only way to ensure I did not time out was to close the window.  My internet connection is fine, and hasve been playing earlier in the day with no problems.

My opponent cannot benefit from this.  I should not suffer for trying to mitigate the situation.

WGT Comments?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 3:55 PM

Hi WaterTrap,

My recommendation would be to drop the match once you start to experience loading issues.  Once you get dropped a 2nd time you should consider your connection unstable and offer a drop to avoid any further risk or loss of credits to either player.  At that point your PC is telling you that it can't hold on to the connection and that information packets are being lost somewhere along the way.

It's important to remember that there will always be connection issues on any internet-based game.  The causes for those issues are numerous and the vast majority are beyond our control, unless it's a universal problem being experienced by every player in the game.  Connection problems can suddenly creep up out of nowhere when it seems that everything has been running fine beforehand.  It only takes a few lost or dropped packets to lose the connection and that can happen in a matter of seconds.  That is something that all players need to remain aware of and keep in the back of their minds at all times when playing for credits.

I see that you have played against that player a lot, so perhaps you guys can work something out between the two of you.  If you guys are friends then perhaps to be a good sport about it he could gift you a few sleeves of balls to make up for the loss.

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 4:08 PM

Unfortunately that is not an answer to my issue.  There is a bug.  The bug is that if it shows your opponent trying to connect, and you wait for them to connect, you time out.   There is no way to tell what side the disconnect is being issued from and who is being dinged with it.

The first disconnect I waited for 4 minutes for my opponent to load (said loading), closed the window reconnected and sure enough I had 30 seconds to reconnect as my opponent was in the window waiting for me to time out.

In addition I clearly stated I was not, nor do have internet connection problems.

In addition  there is NO warning about how many disconnects the system views you as having.  I assumed the issue was on the other side.  Why should I lose the match I was up 2 holes on, because the system does not report the disconnect count, or who is being "dinged the disconnect".  On that note I always keep the browser open to see the clock count, and there was nothing indicating I had a connection issue on the browser page?

Finally I am not friends with this other player.  I am not asking for a 43 credit sleeve of balls, to compensate me for a clear error in the setup and programing of WGT. 

The issue is clear.  There is no indication when there is a disconnect, who is "charged" with it, and if I wait for them to load, I get timed out and then loose. 

Please address the above in an equitable fashion.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 11:29 PM

I'm sorry that my explanation does not meet with your approval, but unfortunately a decision on this matter is not mine to make.  As I mentioned above we cannot account for every possible source of network transmission errors or the in-game errors that may occur as a result.  There will always be times when the system will hang because of transmission errors and there is no way for us to prevent every occurrence.  The majority of them are beyond are control because errors can originate from the user end or somewhere along the path your data (or your opponent's data) takes to our server. 

I'm not going get into the specific details of the internet, but your data most likely travels through at least 15-20 "hops" (20 different servers) before it reaches ours.  Then it travels over another 20 servers on it's route back.  At the same time your opponent's data is experiencing a similar trip.   Because of that we cannot account or prepare for every different error that can occur along the way.  That doesn't necessarily mean your internet connection has a fault, but somewhere along that path your data (or your opponent's) data hit a snag and it only takes a brief second for it to break connection (the lost packets I spoke of above).  We do cover this under the Limitation of Liability section in the Terms & Conditions.  This is a standard issue paragraph that can be found on every skill-gaming site on the internet and the reasons why it's there are for the issues I explained above.

At any rate, I only wish to give you the facts to help you understand why this occurs and why it's a difficult matter to deal with, so I do thank you for listening and I apologize for the inconvenience.  If you wish to pursue this matter further you are welcome to send an email to our Customer Service at the members@worldgolftour.com email.   Please give a brief explanation of the situation, include a link to this thread and they may be able to assist you.

RSS