Forums

Help › Forums

WGT Ryder Cup 2012 - Official Thread

Sun, Jan 13 2013 4:36 AM (404 replies)
  • Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:02 PM

USA               12         :         16               ROW

The WGT Ryder Cup is over and won by team ROW! All awards will be announced at the official IRC award ceremony today at 8pm GMT. A special thanks goes to Funkyjunkie3000 and Buggyyy for their captain jobs as well as to all players and those who participated in the qualifying tournaments to make this event a great WGT Ryder Cup.

Links:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

! Results and Schedule sheet !

! Chat room !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final qualification standings link: here

You can use the tabs at the bottom of the document to switch between all qualification sheets.

Sponsors

Everybody who wants to sponsor something towards the total pool is very welcome. We will need credits for prizes, awards, gifts, betting possibilies and many other things. Players who want to help presenting some great live streaming and commentating are also very welcome! All of you who want to be a part of this Ryder Cup in any way shall write a post here or send me a pm.

Captains

Like in the real Ryder Cup, each team will have a Captain. The Captain can choose whether he/she wants to take part as a player or wants to be a non-playing Captain. If the Captain chooses not to play, he/she must say so as soon as elected, and there will be one more qualifying spot for the team.

Captain for the US team is: Buggyyy

Captain for the ROW team is: Funkyjunkie3000

Captains will be required to choose the pairings for the fourballs and the alternate shot games when the time comes. They are allowed to recruit players for the qualifying process and are also expected to raise team spirit.

Wild cards

Team Rest Of World:

The nine qualifiers plus the Captain (or the extra spot if the Captain chooses not to play) add up to ten players, which means we are still missing two players for the team. Just like at the real Ryder Cup, the Captains choose two player to complete their team. The two wild cards must be chosen from the pool of players who took part in the qualifying.  

Team USA:

The seven qualifiers plus the Captain (or the extra spot if the Captain chooses not to play) add up to eight players, which means we are still missing four players for the team. Just like at the real Ryder Cup, the Captains choose four player to complete their team. The four wild cards must be chosen from the pool of players who took part in the qualifying.  

Awards

These are the Ryder Cup awards, which you can win with good performances in your Cup matches. The awards committee will consist of 4 other people and me, who I will announce before the start of the tournament. If you are interested in helping, send me a PM. There are various awards to be won:

- Bubble boy award: Whoever finishes one place behind the necessary spots for qualifying and is not picked by the respective captain will get 2500 credits as a little consolation.

Winner ROW: Laute

Winner USA: rowlets

- Every qualified or picked player who hasnt got it yet will get one of the Ryder Cup 2012 avatars sponsored if he/she wants so. Everybody of them will as well get a nice profile picture if he/she wants. --> done <--

- Player of the tournament. Based on your stats and whole playing during the tournament, the Awards Committee chooses a winner. The prize is a trophy plus 2500 credits.

Winner: BIGSAUR

- Newbie of the tournament. The best player of the ones who didn´t take part in last year's ryder cup wins a trophy plus 2000 credits. Decided by the Awards Committee.

Winner: DAZZA501

- Best International player. The best international player gets a trophy plus 1500 credits.

Winner: Starsandros

- Best USA player. The best US player gets a trophy plus 1500 credits.

Winner: xXxxMarcxxXx

- Winning Captain. The person who leads the team to victory receives a special trophy, and will “come on stage” during the Awards Ceremony to collect the 2012 Ryder Cup!

Winner: Funkyjunkie3000

- An award combined with a total pool of 12 packs of balls goes to the most active and helpful live stream providers!

Winner: JFHuber, PRIESTESS, Funkyjunkie3000, Courtney01

All awards were announced at the end of the tournament, in a ceremony which took place at the IRC chat room. The prizes are staked by ujjbnjk and xXxxMarcxxXx.

IRC Commentary

When the Ryder Cup starts, you will be able to follow live commentary of some of the matches. In the meantime, the place that will be used for commentary is a chat room where you can talk to WGT members. Click here to go to the chat room.

Ryder Cup stats

Ryder Cup stats of the past years can be seen here.

Please be aware, that the alternate games were played as "alternate hole"-games until the feature "alternate shot" got implemented (2009&2010).

Ryder Cup Betting Center

The official Ryder Cup betting center can be seen here:

--> Link <--

I refrain from any responsibility concerning this sheet, all rules are explained in detail. Have fun with your bets!

Format of play

There will be three different formats of play, just like in the real Ryder Cup.

Time Schedule

Alternate shot

Alternate shot will be played in pairs. The pairings will be decided by the Captains, who can take advice from the players as to who they would like to play with as a partner.

There will be eight alternate shot matches played, meaning that four players from each team will have to play twice. Alternate shot will take up the first twelve days of the virtual Ryder Cup. Played from 9th of November to 20th of November)

CONDITIONS: 18 holes at The Olympic Club

Doubles match play

This will be normal doubles match play (nine holes). We play in pairs and the score that counts is the lowest of the pair.

Example: Harrington takes a 3, Mickelson and Woods both take a 4 and McIlroy takes 6. Even though, if you add up the scores, U.S.A. have taken less shots, Team World would win because the lowest score is Harrington’s.

There will be another eight matches of doubles, so, again, four players from each team will have to play twice. Doubles will take up another twelve days of the virtual Ryder Cup. Played from 21st of November to 2nd of December.

9 holes ranked stroke play at The Olympic Club, front or back 9 was randomly determined per match

Individual match play

Just like in the real Ryder Cup, the last part of the tournament will consist of 18 holes of individual match play. One player from Team World against one from USA. Played from 3rd of December to 16th of December.

CONDITIONS: 18 holes match play at The Olympic Club

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final qualification standings can be seen here.

Qualification Process

The qualification process lasted from Monday, September the 17th and end at Sunday, November the 4th. It consisted of the weekly 18-Hole Single Play tournaments for 7 weeks in a row as well as the October 18-Hole Open. In total, these were 8 qualifying events. Eligible to qualify were Legends and Tour Legends. The points system was similar to the points system of last year:

1st place per event of the scores submitted received 30 points

The points then decreased by 1 point per rank until the 30th place received 1 point. In case of a tie, the points for the regarding places were added and then divided by the number of tied players.

Final registration status:

Normal playing times:

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2012 2:37 PM

Count me in please, Eric

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2012 2:45 PM

LOLserver:

Count me in please, Eric

Note: You have to sign up via the sign-up link in the original thread. Thank you!

Cheers, Hans

PS: In case you want to captain, please send me a private message.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sat, Sep 8 2012 2:44 AM

So if we play the September 18 hole open now Hans do we need to enter the score anywhere to show we want to participate?

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Sat, Sep 8 2012 3:52 AM

Indeed, that will be made available during the next week. Still looking for very experienced spread sheet people who help me a little with that =)

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Sun, Sep 9 2012 1:53 AM

Hans; just as a quick suggestion, it'd make sense not to include the September 18 Hole Open in the qualifying process. Some people who want to participate may already have played this tournament and have withdrawn having not had a good round. This would put them at a disadvantage to those who haven't played it.

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Sun, Sep 9 2012 8:26 AM

jimbean346:

Hans; just as a quick suggestion, it'd make sense not to include the September 18 Hole Open in the qualifying process. Some people who want to participate may already have played this tournament and have withdrawn having not had a good round. This would put them at a disadvantage to those who haven't played it.

I agree with that 100%. I excluded the September 18-hole Open from the qualification process, 8 tournaments should be sufficient.

Thank you sooo much for the google sheets, it would be great if you could free them to me. I will pm you on that!

Cheers, your Hans

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 1:30 AM

Sent you a link to share the document. I can transfer ownership of the doc to you if you want me to although you can amend all the data and fields already.

I took out the September 18 Hole Open from the list of tournaments as well so no scores can be submitted going forward for this one.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 2:39 PM

Great to see this competition alive again this year. Thanks Hans (and all helping people) for organizing it.

Regards

• iremanu
    171 Posts
    Mon, Sep 10 2012 2:51 PM

Thanks Hans, I hope this year has more streaming broadcast games, and that in the event that they are relayed is posted in this forum or another created for the occasion, it would be a pleasure to watch the best players live , greetings to all (European and American) ha, ha, ha, up Europe!!!

RSS