Forums

Help › Forums

Prizes and tournaments: what is the point?

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 7 2010 6:39 AM (2 replies)
  • EValleyStan
    7 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 9:57 PM

WGT is getting even more weird. The News mentioned new awards. I played Bethpage tonight. I birdied the first hole and won 6 awards. At the end of the round (I shot a 37), there were 2 more awards. But today I also won the "April Edgewood Tahoe Challenge Gold Skill Challenge Cup" award. My memory was a little hazy, but it turns out to be a tournament I entered on April 1. I finally found the Leader Board. On that page it showed a little box with my current average and "Position 4539." The Leader Board shows the top 250 in the tournament. I wasn't among them, so I guess I was 4539th.

Is there a link to something that explains the point of the awards. I assume we all have a ton of awards. So what? But I really don't get that Gold Skill Challenge Cup award. Why doesn't WGT explain what I did to earn that award? Was it because I placed 4,539th? What did the golfer who placed 4,000th get -- the Unbelievably Brilliant Unsurpassed Talent Diamond Belt?

WGT is like a world assembled by robots who have studied golf and humans, but don't quite get either one. I suppose they can't send someone a message saying "Congratulations on placing 4,539th."  But awarding that person a Gold Skill Challenge Cup is equally bizarre.

Oh well, back to the problems of the real world -- meter skip, and puzzling over how a 120 yard club can hit a ball 131 yards uphill into a 10 mile an hour headwind. 

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 10:51 PM

Hi Stan,

You can find more information on the awards you can win and the various levels you can achieve for each one in the awards section of the FAQ

The gold cup you earned is based on your finish among all competitors in your tier for the April Edgewood Challenge event.  If you have a look at the chart in the FAQ I linked above you'll see there are 7 different award levels and the gold level is right in the middle.  Unfortunately, we cannot to display the entire leaderboard, so that gold cup you earned is meant to show you that you finished right about in the middle of the pack for that event.

• EValleyStan
    7 Posts
    Fri, May 7 2010 6:39 AM

Thanks very much. I had seen the chart before, but I hadn't really studied it. I guess the prizes are a good way to record cumulative accomplishments. Winning a Gold anything for placing 4,359th is pretty strange, though.

RSS