Forums

Help › Forums

Stray Shots on Certain Holes

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 4 2010 8:34 AM (1 replies)
  • Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 6:30 AM

It seems that ocassionally the second shot to certain holes does not go where you would expect.  In particular and on numerous occasions the second shot into Kiawah 3 and Kiawah 15 can go left or right by up to 7 yards even when hit perfectly with no more than a 9 or PW.  (obviously factoring in the wind strength and direction).  It has also happened on the 5th at St Andrews where the third shot with a 64 deg wedge flew right into the fescue, although this has only happened once.  I play a lot of Ready-Go tournaments and it is really annoying when you have a good score going.  Anybody else get the problems i've mentioned on the holes at Kiawah?

• CaptainCouples
    135 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 8:34 AM

Mike3226:
    the second shot to certain holes does not go where you would expect

Yea Mike.. There are literally hundreds of threads covering this subject. It has been Given such names as the Monster - Deviation and my Favorite - The Pure Swing Drift. The Simplest advice I can give you is this. It is now time for you to take Straight golf out of the question. Begin experimenting with shot shaping. Here is an Example. No. 15's approach. Say you are 100 yards out with a 7mph wind at your back at 2 O'clock. Hit pure this ball will normally drift Right as much as 3-4 yards. Now the Fix. Pull - Hook - Draw this 1 or 2 pixels early and let the wind bring your ball back on line. Another hole I am surprised you did not mention is 12 at Kiawah. From longer ranges such as 160-180 out the drift will increase to 5-6 yards off your line when hit pure. One more tip. The Push - Block - Fade being late is more sensitive then the Pull - Draw at times. Requiring you to be late only a couple of pixels max, The stronger the wind the more shape you apply. Good luck with your game.

CC...

RSS