Forums

Help › Forums

Game Invites

Sun, Jan 2 2011 9:28 PM (8 replies)
  • PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 5:49 PM

If you are going to invite someone to a game, please be kind enough to wait more than 3 seconds for the person to respond. Three times have I been invited to a game, accepted, leaving my current game, then find out the invite had been canceled. Frustrating when one had a good game going. I myself will wait until the time runs out when inviting someone. They may be away from their computer at the time, etc..

Next time, I will save my game, in case it happens again.

Greg.

• SextonBW
    12 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 7:36 PM

Another piece of game etiquette I wish would be followed is during matches with "non" friends, I have an usual amount of people leave/suggest drop if they hit the ball in the rough on the first tee. Or if it even looks like they may loose. Finish the game please, if everyone who thought they were going to loose or hit a bad shot no game would ever finish. This seems most common when the lower handicapper is not doing well against the higher handicapper. This is very frustrating.

• PureWhiPlasH
    55 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 8:27 PM

PorkyWalrus:

Three times have I been invited to a game, accepted, leaving my current game, then find out the invite had been canceled.

Maybe you should finish your current game first b4 quitting.

• PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:12 AM

But I like playing against others! Like I said, saving the game should work happenstance the invite should be canceled.

Greg.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:55 AM

Agreed.   Many times I'll leave a single player game to accept a multi player game invite to find that the invite was canceled less than 15 seconds after it was sent.

But that doesn't annoy me as much as the person who invites me to a game, only to drop after a couple of holes.   Why bother inviting me in the first place if you're gonna drop after a couple of holes, what's the point?   I can understand if an emergency comes up, but most of the times the drop has nothing to do with an emergency coming up.

• ProfessorJoe
    325 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 8:18 AM

I was guilty of the "invite, then cancel" infraction one time (out of ignorance) and my friend wrote me a quick message to let me know that it wasn't appreciated.  Boy did I feel like crap!  But well deserved crap, I might add.  I could have potentially lost a good golf buddy, but fortunately he was just as forgiving as I was to taking criticism.  Lesson learned.

With all that being said, I'm kind of like PW in that I'd rather play with someone than by myself.  It's more fun and I always seem to pick up a few good tips and/or tricks to this game.  If anyone wants to play a round sometime, just hit me up.  I'll definitely finish, computer permitting.  (i've had a fatal error message pop up twice on me against the same player.  FRUSTRATING!)

Take care everyone, ProJo

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 10:44 AM

PureWhiPlasH:
    Maybe you should finish your current game first b4 quitting.

I'm sure he was in single play because I do that waiting for invites sometimes. And yes, it is very annoying to notice the green blink, accept it and close your round just in time to see it was cancelled.

• Fairlane501
    1 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 5:29 PM

Suggestion: players should have a 'drop game ranking". This would allow other players to choose the risks involved in picking opponents. 

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 9:28 PM

A lot of the time it's WGT doing the inviting. If someone clicks on the Anyone or Best Match buttons on the game page then WGT sends out invites to several players at once. First one to accept cancels the others.

RSS