Forums

Help › Forums

Saint Andrews No 4 Green Speed

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 29 2010 5:37 AM (2 replies)
  • jlh2010
    8 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 5:38 PM

On stroke play, SA No 4, if you overshoot the hole, you have an uphill putt. Usually pretty steep, like 5 inches over 17 or 18 feet. If you try to add power to go uphill, you'll overshoot. Seems to me that the program is not accounting for the rise. OTOH, if you come short of the hole, you do have to account for the drop. To test this, I got 25 feet from the hole, and hit with 25 power (on a 25 foot putter) and it came right to the hole.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:28 PM

Hi jlh,

I notice that you just played your first round Master tier a few days ago and that means you are now putting on Very Fast greens.  Your putts will travel farther than they did when you were in the Pro tier and putting on Fast greens.  25 feet worth of power for a 25 foot putt w/ 5" uphill on Very Fast greens is just about right.

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 5:37 AM

jlh2010:
    SA No 4, if you overshoot the hole, you have an uphill putt. Usually pretty steep, like 5 inches over 17 or 18 feet. If you try to add power to go uphill, you'll overshoot.
     I hope you mean downhill when you are past the hole.  That green (as far as I can remember it ;^)  ) slopes from back left to front right around the hole location.  You are usually left with a pretty slippery downhill putt if you fly it past the hole.  And on very fast greens 5 inches down over an 18 foot putt, you're looking at only about 12 feet of power max. depending on break.

RSS