Help › Forums

FREEZE ON GAME in matchplay

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 6 2010 8:02 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • geordieles
    516 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 2:54 PM

Just wondering if its the norm when a player freezes in matchplay mode and reconnects that the game goes to the next hole.I thought it took you back to the shot the player froze on

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 3:59 PM

Hi geordie,

There's an issue surrounding the finish of a match play game right now that causes the last player to hole out on the last hole of regulation (or any playoff hole) to actually freeze the instant they strike the putt.  The putt still counts (miss or otherwise), but the game loses the connection to the player for some reason.  Since the putt actually did count, you resume on the next tee.  This was reported a few days ago and we are working on a solution.  Please bear with us and we apologize for the inconvenience.

• geordieles
    516 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 6:55 PM

Thanks niv for reply 

• lfclegends
    20 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 1:50 AM

Hi, Can you confirm that this type of disconnect counts toward the '3 strikes and your out' rule?

I was playing MP the other day and in a tight match we had 2 discons each heading to the 4th extra hole. In the end when it looked like we were going to another extra hole we agreed to drop the game and start again.

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 7:46 AM

WGTniv:

Hi geordie,

There's an issue surrounding the finish of a match play game right now that causes the last player to hole out on the last hole of regulation (or any playoff hole) to actually freeze the instant they strike the putt.  The putt still counts (miss or otherwise), but the game loses the connection to the player for some reason.  Since the putt actually did count, you resume on the next tee.  This was reported a few days ago and we are working on a solution.  Please bear with us and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Hope you don't mind WGTNiv, I quoted your above response at WGTLS to support my view that my opponent most likely did not see his putt roll in, though he responded "yep" when asked if he sunk his putt.

Cheers,

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 9:42 AM

Scoresby-

I doubt your opponent saw the putt go in.  The same thing happened to me with me being the putter.  I was down 1 and had an eagle putt to go to a playoff.  The second i was fixing to putt the ball(right after i clicked), the game froze and we were sent to a playoff.  I won in the playoff and felt bad.  I sent my opponent a sleeve of balls.  The  question is,,,,Did the game know the putt was going in or does it happen regardless?

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 10:16 AM

jcs89:

The  question is,,,,Did the game know the putt was going in or does it happen regardless?

Yes to both?

If you've ever played CTTH, you know that the result of your shot is known the instant you make contact as evidenced by the heartbeat if you're within 10' of the pin.

According to WGTNiv's response above, "freeze the instant they strike the putt. The putt still counts (miss or otherwise)"

We shall see.....

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 11:57 AM
    From what I have seen the freeze occurs only when the stroke made will result in the match going to a playoff and any subsequent hole tied in a playoff will cause the same freeze. Example: If you miss a putt that will result in a playoff the game will freeze. It may not just be putts but any stroke that will send the match to playoff hole. Needless to say , it can only happen 3 times because the game will not allow you to disconnect/reconnect 3 times.
  • WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 1:25 PM

scoresby:
    According to WGTNiv's response above, "freeze the instant they strike the putt. The putt still counts (miss or otherwise)"

I misspoke.  After some further testing I noticed the freeze only occurs if the putt to halve the hole was made (and only on the last hole of regulation or sudden death).  If the putt to halve is missed or if one player just wins a hole outright the game will play out as usual.  If no sudden death is needed or if it's not the last hole of regulation you will not see this happen.

scoresby: If the putt went in on the last hole of regulation or sudden death then it's likely your opponent did not see it either, otherwise we wouldn't have the bug.  In my tests neither player saw the putt at any time.

lcf: Unfortunately, yes, this does count towards the 3-disconnect rule.

I've followed up with our devs since the initial report and have been assured a fix is being worked on as we speak.  I might recommend avoiding match play games (at least the ones for credits) for the next few days while we can get this problem sorted out.  If avoiding is not your style at least be aware of the issue so you can offer to drop the match at the appropriate point before any disconnection penalties kick in.  For the time being you may wish to only play with your friends or those who would be willing to abide by a "drop match" rule should it get to that point. 

I'll be sure to follow-up once more and let you guys know when it's fixed.  Thanks for bearing with us on this one.

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:11 PM

Thanks for the research and the answer.  Must have been a thrill to test it:  start, freeze, restart, freeze, restart, freeze.  Repeat....

Looking forward to the repair.

Cheers,

• PAGES
RSS