Help › Forums

Kiawah's Multiple Personality?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 2 2010 12:31 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MarionGolfer
    25 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 1:40 PM

Is it just me or is the front 9 of Kiawah like a holy terror and the back 9 your best friend?

Numerous times when I play 18 holes at Kiawah I do horribly on the front 9 and then the back 9 I am like a seasoned pro.  Unfortunately it all balances out for me.  I've gotten 5 birdies on the back 9 twice but because of the front 9, only end up at even par lol   Oh Kiawah, it;s a love-hate relationship with you :)

• pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 1:48 PM
    I have similar feelings about Kiawah. On the front nine, the greens make the golf course a beast. They make it almost impossible to make putts over 5 feet on Holes 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9. Hole 4 and 5 are almost guaranteed bogey holes. But on the back nine, there are many birdie opportunities: Holes 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 are all holes where you could make a birdie in.
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 1:54 PM

The front is defiantly more difficult. Experience is the key to scoring well on it.

Look for the flat spots on the greens, and try to hit your approach shots in those areas.

Are you a better right to left putter, or a better left to right? Factor that stuff in too.

Once you understand these situations, you will play better. Also factor in which holes are a good par such as 4,5,8, and 9. Work on finding ways to make those 4 holes easier.

For me, par on this 9 is 31. If i can get a couple of birds on those tough holes, then I really get a nice low round.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 9:56 AM

I can average about 31 on the front and 30 on the back... so it's pretty fair to me. 

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 1:50 PM
    I can get around 30 without problems IF I birdie the first hole. If I par it I'm usually around 34. My best was 26.
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 8:34 PM

It is a moody, yet fun gig. One can get in the wrong mood if not - 3 after 3. It ebbs and flows. It has some putts that Einstein could not factor. But it can be had. 58 here from Master tees.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 9:45 PM

I plain hate Kia, I'd rather play BPB...almost. 

First three holes on the front are a breeze but that hole 4, yuck.  Back 9 is much more forgiving but I really hate putting at Kia, those greens are something else. 

BPB is the opposite in a way, the greens are easy peasy, its just getting on the green is not....

• TarheelsRule
    5,483 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 1:02 PM
    No sure about multiple personalities but the sides are very different. The front nine has holes that are must birdie holes 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7 all must be birdied to score well and all should be birdied if you put your approach shots in the right place. The 4, 5 and 9th holes are difficult birdie holes with 8 being average. On the back nine you have basically the first 8 holes as potential birdie holes, depending upon the wind while only 18 is a very difficult birdie hole. To me the front is a sure 31/32 round while the back can be 28 to 34 depending on the wind and you shot making with the putting being much easier than on the front.
  • AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2010 3:30 PM

I gotta start reading the forums more often. In reading what y'all are saying about Kiawah's front, all I can say is *whew, I thought it was just me.* (Especially about #4 being so maddening.)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2010 3:41 PM

SweetiePie:
    It is a moody, yet fun gig. One can get in the wrong mood if not - 3 after 3.

LMAO-Sooo true. Worse is getting that -3 only to find yourself getting paranoid about the beast or VEM and wind up gripping while you fall apart .  :-D

• PAGES
RSS