Forums

Help › Forums

April Master Tier Open

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 21 2010 2:50 PM (8 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:41 PM

Played my first today.  Put many practice rounds in on BPB, and played a ranked round this morning, shot 61 which would have been enough for the lead but of course that was with no pressure. 

Stepped out onto the first, dreaming of that $150 Golfsmith card, but alas today was not the day.  Started off with a yanked drive on 1, laid up to 30yds and stiffed for par.  Followed by birdie on 2, par on 3 (damn down wind and back pin), birdie on 4, chip in on 5, birdie on 6.  So sitting -4 through 6 holes feeling pretty good but had the sinking feeling of the meat of the course, the real bethpage about to start. 

Into the wind on 7, salvaged a par from the rough short of green.  Got the yips on 8, little meter studder missed birdie from 8ft downhill.  Parred 9 into the wind.

10th, good drive, slight push on the approach had 21ft uphill breaking left, lipped it out.  Did the same with a pull approach on 11, and yet another lip out (too fast) on 12 to the front pin.  Missed opportunities.  Knowing I need a to play 13 and in at -5, I felt the nerves but birdied 13.  Another lip out on 14 (again to fast, but on the low side of the hole).  4 holes to go, -4 in score needed over those holes.

Was aggressive on 15, got a hard bounce over the green, flopped and missing par putt by about an inch.  Oh well, a 62 and birdie last 3 holes probably still puts me in first I am thinking.  Nice drive on 16, got 166 to hole back pin, hit 160yd club, full back spin down wind to 15ft, dropped it.  Thats where it ended for me, last 2 holes, 2 more lip outs and finished with a 65.

I am exhausted.  That is some serious pressure, and man a 7.7ft putt for par, that barely caught the edge and dropped on 9 almost gave me a heart attack.  The guys who shot 62 are legends in my book.  Granted someone will probably go low with a 60 but man that was intense. 

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:56 PM

Fun isn't it Neil with big money riding?  I walked off the 18th this month more than frustrated.  Missed a total of 7 putts inside 10 feet.  3 were due to nerves and pulling the trigger too soon, but was totally raped on 4 putts inside 5 feet, 3 of which were 3 footers.  Meter freeze on #1 from 2.5 feet= par.  Meter spike on #3 from 3.1 feet=par.  Meter spike on 10 from 4.5 feet=par.  Meter freeze on 16 from 2.8 feet=par.  Did manage a birdie on 17 with tailwind by canning a 30 footer and birdied 18 with a 12 footer.  Final score 62, in second place on tiebreaker.  No way it holds up for 10 more days though. I'll feel lucky if I finish in 3rd for the dozen Pro V1s.

Can't get too mad though as I did walk away with the $150 card last month.  I do love playing the Monthly Tier Opens with high stakes.  It definitely tests your fortitude.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:53 PM

I choke so bad in these every month...guess my cheater software fails me more often when the pressure is on.

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 9:09 AM
    That was the most painful round I've shot in a while. Talk about choking. It was only after I was sucking so bad on the front that I start playing like I was out of it, and the shots started falling - closed with a 29 on the back - so I'll own the tiebreaker for 62! Agree with Jake, bet it doesn't stand, by the end, all 62s will be out of the money, IMO.
  • DougBieker
    333 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 10:31 AM
    Mr. Lee just fired a fine 57......i should save my credits I guess
    1,644 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 10:34 AM

DougBieker:
    Mr. Lee just fired a fine 57
    Funny thing is, I went in with ZERO expectations!  I usually choke in the Master Tier Opens also!

• DougBieker
    333 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 10:55 AM
    Nice round....I think I will give it a try tomorrow with zero expectations....you guys are just all too good.....but it is fun trying to get there....
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 11:41 AM

Man, how do you shoot 57 on BPB?  I think 61 yesterday was my best, with a dumb  missed putt on the first, so 60 is like my best from the master tips.  And I really cant think of any other way to shave off 3 strokes, especially since I had 2 chip ins.

• zant
    319 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2010 2:50 PM

My 1st Master Tier Open round.Decide to give it a shot.Everything was fine until #7 where beast from fairway send me 60% rough  resulting double bogey.Hope returned after getting 5 strokes at fist 5 holes of back 9,including an eagle on #13. Also  lipped it out  at holes #2,4,8,16.Now feels like i just flushed 5$ :(

Anyway what could be a good round  of 60 that would put me at 2nd place (as for now) end up in pitiful 63 thanks to Beast that was hiding in bushes on holes #7,and #15.

My congratulations to Lee (57) great round!!!, do you carry shotgun with you to scary that creature away :)

To all who didn't play yet watch out for that beast,it love to mess you round up in the moments when you think everything going great.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

:Image and video hosting by TinyPic:450:0]

RSS