Forums

Help › Forums

Yardage Graph for R11 Irons+ ATV,Cleveland wedges

Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:05 PM (62 replies)
  • chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 4:37 AM

This is just a rough hint how irons will react, its a guide i use to calculate shots, but remember, every hole has its unique approach (i.e bethpage #1 plays longer), a 7 iron which rolls to 170+ yards on one hole might only roll to165 on another!  This is where course knowledge comes into the game, and can only be learnt by yourselves by playing those courses. )

All yardages made on tournament greens, Different green speeds and wedges coming soon (mk.iii)

Due to the discussion with spin, No spin is DOT DEAD IN CENTRE OF BALL (hence no spin, there's no "top" or "back spin" added)  3/4 spin is 3/4 way down the ball- between middle of ball and bottom.  

There could be 5 yards difference between dot a fraction more down or more up so thats why its roughly the ball flight, if you see ball coming up a touch long or short you can pull the dot down, or up next time you execute that shot.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:08 AM

Great chart, Chris. I've been trying to figure out how to lay out flight arcs like that to explain how elevation changes affect shots.That's some serious work. Very nice.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:24 AM

trouble is mouse cursor was going off the screen on the long irons so i couldn't get them higher so they've "flat-lined" at a certain height..lol (good old paint always comes in handy, if you have a spare 1/2 hour)

only a "rough trajectory" though, i didn't spend all day at Celtic Manor with my buddy and a vapour ball and loads of tape spending hours calculating trigonometry because our theodolite had flat batteries. (now that WOULD mean i had too much time on my hands!)

But needs to be re-done, lower yardage clubs would actually go higher due to the club face's angle, and higher yardage clubs go not as high but longer, so will be back with mark II later..........(just wanted to show how ball lands, and yardages for the beginners)

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:33 AM

Just curious... do you consider 3/4 spin 3/4 of the way down between the top or center and bottom of the ball?

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:34 AM

Is it just me or does anybody else think that some people take this game way to seriously?

• DrussTheLegend
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:47 AM

Wow Chris, this is awesome....thanks for the effort in putting this together.

I bought the R11's and tried them with the Nike balls and was so far out on all my yardages (especially in heavy wind) that I ended up going back to my Burner's and Cally's.  WIth this info in hand, I may try again (after the US Open I reckon).....

Thanks.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:51 AM

chrisironsbones:
    trouble is mouse cursor was going off the screen on the long irons so i couldn't get them higher so they've "flat-lined" at a certain height

Maybe instead of all the irons on one page, go with wedges on one, mid irons on another and long irons on a third. That way you can stretch the arcs. Or keep it like you have it but have one page for each condition. 

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 6:14 AM

I'll do one for pitch, chips and flop shots (and all wedges) because some people are afraid to use these shots because they don't know how much roll they will get, like 25 pitch shot with no spin will roll to 30 yards, but will land a few yards closer than with spin, 

Will play St Andrews #9 and hammer the green with every wedge i have, pings, atv's clevelands too see how they react with full spin, every shot conceivable (some thing i could do with knowing to play a nice trick shot where yoo land 10 yards behind pin and see how much ball spin back.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 6:17 AM

Very nice work CIB!

• Minkywinkster
    1,777 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 6:24 AM

That's some fine work there Chris

RSS