Forums

Help › Forums

Arcane and useless information...but interesting.

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 12 2012 2:30 PM (9 replies)
  • StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Tue, Jun 5 2012 7:26 PM

Mighty Mike Austin and the 515-Yard Drive

Thirty years ago a brash pro belted the longest drive in history. With a persimmon driver. He was 64. And the record still stands.

In his prime, which extended into his eighties, Austin packed as much punch from the tee—and off it, for that matter—as any golfer ever. He couldn't putt to save his life, which kept him from any real success on the PGA and Senior PGA Tours, but stick a driver in his hand and small miracles would happen.

Always a showman with a salty vocabulary, Austin dazzled Bobby Jones as a teenager with three-hundred-yard tee shots at East Lake Country Club in Atlanta, around the corner from Austin's childhood home. He claims to have broken the four-hundred-yard barrier in 1937.

By the 1960s he was hosting The Mike Austin Golf Show on television, on which he once displayed his power by knocking a ball through the Los Angeles telephone directory. Another time, he says, to win one of his many hustles, he hit a two-hundred-yard drive with a taped-up Coke bottle.

But those were mere mulligans compared with the rocket he launched on September 25, 1974, at the U.S. National Seniors Open Championship in Las Vegas. Goosed by his playing partner, 1950 PGA champion Chandler Harper, to "really let one go," Austin, then sixty-four, unleashed all hell on the ball, sending it 515 yards before it finally came to rest—sixty-five yards beyond the flagstick on the par-four fifth hole. Thirty years later, it's still the longest drive ever, according to Guinness World Records.

MightyMike:

SM

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 8:01 AM

didnt i reply to this already??

• Santiago124
    157 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 11:33 AM

Awesome....

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 11:35 AM

Look at the size of the MIT"S on that tough ole buzzard.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 5:07 PM

That must be Canines goal. He wants to be mighty Mike. LOL

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 5:16 PM

Now something's a bit fishy here. I know for a fact that's a picture of Magic.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2012 5:15 AM

AGArgent:
    Now something's a bit fishy here. I know for a fact that's a picture of Magic.

You know AG, I do believe you're right. I just didn't recognize him without his hat !

Doc

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2012 4:38 PM

If it didn't land on the fairway then it didn't count...lol

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:34 PM

Love the use of the word Arcane. 

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2012 2:30 PM

That is SM incognito. I can read his eyes. He is thinking Lizzie, Lizzie, Lizzie, how can you resist this? After the millions I have spent on jets, boats, submarines, Lambos, and all the fancy clothes. Life is a she beatch of a goats gizzard.

RSS