Help › Forums

Putting Distance

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 18 2010 1:05 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gishdrums
    19 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 1:14 PM

I tried a few searches and didn't find anything comprehensive on this. So I figured I would share with everyone how I determine how far to hit the ball (not accounting for breaks). This might already be common knowledge to some of the more experienced members here. I use these 2 criteria when deciding how far to hit the ball:

(1) For different green types I use this formula: Slow => Add 20% to the distance stated Standard => Add 10% to the distance stated Fast => Use distance as stated Very Fast => Subtract 10% from the distance stated

(2) Once you have completed step (1), for every (stated) inch downhill subtract a foot from the total distance obtained from step (1), and likewise for every inch uphill, add a foot to the total distance from (1).

Using this formula helps me get the ball within 5 feet everytime (usually within 3 feet) and almost always guarantees a 2-putt at the most. Like I stated, this isn't always reliable when severe breaks are involved, but it is my rule of thumb.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions??

---------------

Gish

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 1:30 PM

I think this one is a little on the subject.  It's a sticky top of this page

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx

Mick

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 2:12 PM

do your putts come up short a lot or roll past the hole?   

• gishdrums
    19 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:33 AM

Micklen, I did see that post and although it is detailed, it didn't address the different green types. This method is just something I've always used and it's worked for me.

b0geybuster, I have found very satisfactory results using this approach when it comes to distance. I don't always read the breaks perfectly; so naturally it causes a few two putts. Maybe you should try this approach and see for yourself. Also feel free to share your technique for assessing the putting distance.

Cheers

Gish

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:00 AM

gish,

I use a similar approach, but find that when I have a long putt (say over 20ft), I account a little more drastically for the slope incline/decline as you outlined in step 2. For instance, a 6" incline where you might normally add 6' to 10' putt (for 16 ft) would be more than 20 + 6 in my example. The longer the putt, the longer the incline has its affect on the ball speed, so you have to 'tweak' accordingly. (Illegal drug references purposely omitted)

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 10:32 AM

gishdrums:
    . I don't always read the breaks perfectly; so naturally it causes a few two putts

I have found getting distances right has improved quite a bit on very fast greens but reading the break is another thing entirely.  My main problem is not reading anywhere near enough break in the putt as I am still thinking Links putting and it's not helping

Also my snap is not improving as quickly as I would like.  Most of my shots are still lost on either the greens, or less often bad approach shots

Mick

• gishdrums
    19 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 11:00 AM

Points duly noted Mick and VanHalenLover.

The one other thing I didn't mention in my original post is that for medium to (practically) non-existent breaks (especially on putts under 15 ft), I typically don't adjust my target. Instead, I click the mouse left or right of the excellent bar in the opposite direction of the break. This habit arose from my early days with this game when I had a hard time getting that excellent ping to occur, and now I've refined it to aid that handicap. In these situations, I almost always add a foot or two to the above mentioned formula, realizing that not getting excellent does take away from the distance. This approach (of not changing the target) obviously doesn't work for the severe breaks on #15 on BpB or many of St. Andy's greens.

My game definitely could use a lot of improvement but putting and my short game tend to be better when compared to driving (which suffers the most, esp. with the less forgiving drivers I've upgraded to).

Let's keep those ideas coming.

Gish

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 12:51 PM

I will be trying your method today.   I will give you feed back shortly.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 1:08 PM

gishdrums:
    The one other thing I didn't mention in my original post is that for medium to (practically) non-existent breaks (especially on putts under 15 ft), I typically don't adjust my target. Instead, I click the mouse left or right of the excellent bar in the opposite direction of the break.

Yes that can certainly work on virtually straight putts and can also be a good thing on all putts, to try and get it just on the side of the bar to give you a fraction more break

My biggest problem there as I said earlier is my snap isn't improving as quickly as I might like and that is losing me a lot of one putts.

Now if anyone has an answer for THAT  ;-)))

Mick

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 1:10 PM

micklen:

My biggest problem there as I said earlier is my snap isn't improving as quickly as I might like and that is losing me a lot of one putts.

Now if anyone has an answer for THAT  ;-)))

Do you use the larger scales for short putts?

• PAGES
RSS