Help › Forums

THE WEEKLY RYDER: ICONIAN INTERVIEW

Sat, Sep 11 2010 11:23 AM (25 replies)
  • seveking
    983 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 4:44 AM

THE WEEKLY RYDER

INTERVIEW WITH  ICONIAN

Q: Welcome all to the last of the 2010 interviews. Today, we have with us one of the leading USA players: Iconian. Thanks for coming, Icon.

A: Thanks, the limo you provided was quite comfortable.

Q: You´re a long-standing member of WGT. Just how much has this game changed and, most importantly after last week´s controversial update, has it changed for the better?

A: Most folks do not realize just how much the game has changed. To give you a brief (well, not so brief) history. When we first started playing, for good 6 month there was only Kiawah front 9. There was only 1 ball, and 1 set of clubs. There was little control over how your shots react and besides monthly tournaments; there was not much else to do. Now, we have 4 full stroke play courses and a bunch of cttp setups, myriad of weekly/monthly tournaments, daily ready go, mpc, etc.

The biggest change that occurred recently has changed the way we play, no DOUBT. Most folks hate it, and most folks don't think it has happened before. However, that is wrong; when we were moved from hack setup to amateur setup using basic clubs, we were hitting EXACTLY the same yardages into #10 Kiawah 145-160 (depending on wind). In fact, most of Kiawah holes play very similar to that setup. The difference then and now is amount of people probably increased 20 fold, so you have a lot more vocal opposition. In the end, I think, WGT did the right move, since the game shouldn't be maxed out with clubs, while remaining in beta stage, nor should most ready go's have 50's as winning scores. To keep scoring in the 50's and losing is more frustrating than scoring 65 and losing; trust me, I post few 27's on STA and when I birdied #9, in the back on my mind I knew, it wasn't good enough. What WGT introduced has bugs; no doubt, it can be better and will be better. What they require is active and productive feedback on how this system can be improved instead of crying about how it has changed. That's  looking backwards, in my view, and you should always look forward. It remains to be seen what will happen down the line, but I think 2-3 month from now, once people get to higher levels and with new equipment being introduced, the game will balance itself out. 'Til then, I suggest WGT put on Teflon shield and weather the storm.

Q: About a year ago, when I first met you, you told me you only played this game for fun. With all the big prizes and Majors developing on the site, would you say the same thing now?

A: Absolutely. I never really tried to win any majors or even premium monthly's. I wanted to quality low, which I did, just so to say that I could. With that said, I am a competitive person and ready go's provide enough excitement and are quick enough to move on from frustration,  that I enjoy them. I also draw my motivation from few other sources. Until last October, I only had 200 ranked rounds and played easily a 1000. One of my closest friends also gave me crap about it, cause him and I played about same and he had posted many more rounds. So, I been doing many ready go's for 2 reasons: 1 post rounds, so my friend can take crap from me now (I did 405 ready go's in August alone). My other good friend wanted to go for the awards. Me being a competitive type, I decided to race her, so after many month, I finally pulled slightly  ahead. But, some of those awards require a lot of rounds posted, 250 eagles or 500 mpc points a month, for example. In fact, I am currently 4th in KLM standing, which one may say I play for the prize, but it's not true. I played it for 2 reasons: 1, 450 completed CTTP's award (not

yet there), and 25 HIO's award (which I reached). But, I will admit, that having 30ft and going to 8th hole with head wind starring at me, I triple aimed with hope to post a low score.

Q: You are often on the IRC channel… wait, let me start this one again: you are always on the IRC channel where some WGT members “hang around” and where you can follow live text commentary of some of the Ryder Cup matches. How and when was this channel started? And who´s idea was it?

A: Yes, my computer is on 24x7, so I am there 24x7, but it doesn't mean I am actually 'there' as you can imagine. I do see logs of you sneaking in at 6am and trying to find a sane person awake (unless they have yet to sleep). The channel was started long ago by "nivlac the magnificent". I joined maybe 1-2 days after but then the channel was dead with 1-2 other folks in, so I didn't come back until several month later. But then, once we started getting a crowd, I found myself hanging around more and more. The channel is good for many things, not only getting tips on holes but also to vent and follow coverage of Ryder cup or wimple or any other match. If you stay late, you may read my ramblings with a round or two, for example. Now that we can post replay links directly, many of us share our (mis)fortunes.

Q: And now I´ll make you suffer a bit. You have lots of friends from IRC but… is there one you consider your best friend at WGT?

A: easily answered: Chanserv. She is there all the time, when I message her and rant and rave, she is always there to console me. She even talks back, when you type !ping, for example.

Q: Your best round at WGT? And I don´t mean the lowest, I mean the most important, the one that made you happier than any other.

A: I posted many low rounds, my 57 on BP on slow greens was easily 55, 55 on STA a few times, and 56 on Kiawah, but my happiest round was 4-some with Bolloxinbrudges, Jakestanfield, & Kosei playing Kiawah off masters tees. I was teamed up with Bollox and we played best ball. First  6 holes of my round was mediocre at best, and bollox had to carry me. But, then I caught fire, birdying 7,8, dropping 39fter on 9, and holing out for eagle on 10 and 11. That brought us to 3 up on our opponents. In the end, I think we had the lowest round, by posting together, 52,  With birding every hole and eagling 10/11. Jake and Kosei were no slouches either. Both finished with 60 I believe, thus our combined score was 59, 60, 60, 61 (for me) -48 for 4 of us. But, what was the most fun was how our opponents were just as excited for me when I eagled back to back holes and that we had an awesome time playing together. We still play regularly together and all are in our club.

Q: A mark out of ten for the treatment WGT employees give their members, and why do you give them that mark?

A: Wow, tough question. I would say 7/10. Many would rate a lot less but I disagree. I been beta testing games since 1996 and have tested such huge games as Diablo 2, Hellgate: London, Several EA Titles which I can't say, and such. The reality is this: 1. Wgt reps on forums are limited with what they know and what they can say. They are spokespeople for the company, their job is to create image and adhere to it. Sometimes it means they have to lie, ignore questions, or never even reply. Is it tough to understand? definitely, is it easy to take personally, definitely. But, this is not their hobby, this is their job, and trust me, when hobby becomes your job, it suddenly loses a MOST of the fun.

Q: For all those out there who have played you once or twice but don´t know much about you, let´s get this straight once and for all: are you a man or a woman? J And believe me, I´ve been asked this about you a few times…

A: Let's get this straight once and for all: I never lied about who or what I am. If asked, I always say I am a man who likes to play woman's characters because if you play as much as me, would you rather look at guy's ass or woman's butt? In fact, AlexWGT asked me the same questions a long time ago, when we played together. And when I told her the same answer she said, (I don't remember exactly what she said), that it actually made sense. Weird, but made sense. Now, If someone assumes that I am a girl and starts hitting on me, depending on how bored, drunk, I am or how for much the MPC game is for, I may reciprocate.

Q: You didn´t play in last year´s Ryder Cup. What made you join this year?

A: Last year it was my last year at university, so my priorities lied elsewhere. I also didn't think it could be done successfully, but I must admit, I was wrong. This year, after seeing just how much fun it was, I decided to do it.

Q: The qualifying is coming to an end and you can start seeing who will be playing this year. Which of the two teams is the favourite to win?

A: Europeans will be caddying for us after we are done with them!

Q: And what individual performance do you expect from yourself in the Ryder Cup? How many points are you going to add to USA´s total?

A: Tone honest, I may go 5:0 and I may go 0:5. After 2500+ rounds, if one thing I learned about myself is 1 round I can easily shoot 60 and the next barely break 65. I excel at MPC/team player, and I will make sure to give my best to help our team bring home the win.

Q: It´s been great to have you here Icon, and splendid to have all you Weekly Ryder readers these last four months. Thank you all.

iconian

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 8:22 AM

Interview with Lilrob! Enjoy!

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 1:07 PM

Great Job, Seve, and thanks for the obvious amount of hard work and planning that goes into an event of this magnitude. Looking forward to qualifying (hopefully) and playing for the U.S.A. winning team!

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 2:54 PM
    No way Rob is that eloquent. I think his girlfriend answered those questions!
  • lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 3:40 PM

iconian:
    No way Rob is that eloquent. I think his girlfriend answered those questions!

lol thanks icon

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 11:23 AM

Is that Rob and his girlfriend in the picture above. If so can I come round for tea when your out Rob :)

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 8:07 PM

lol shhhhhhh

if word gets out about her being my girlfriend my other girlfriend might get a little angry :)

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 10:00 PM
    C'mon Rob, we all know you're the Tiger Woods of love affairs @ WGT. ;-) Ps. You got my vote Captain ; ) ; )
  • seveking
    983 Posts
    Fri, May 28 2010 6:55 AM

Now it´s the turn of the International Captain: TallAcePaul

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 10:00 AM

And this year´s third interview... JulioMoot!

Don´t miss the last line ... :)

RSS