Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping/pitching

Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:22 AM (4 replies)
  • CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Mon, Apr 5 2010 9:31 PM

Anyone else have trouble with the chip/pitch around the greens?  How do I stop chips/pitches from hanging up in the fringe?  When I'm 2-3 feet off the green, even if I change the shot from 'chip' to 'pitch', when I pick the proper distance to hit the shot, it gets stuck in the fringe and only goes a foot or two!  If I hit the shot any harder, it will race by the hole.. This is driving me nuts!  How do I get the ball to actually 'pitch' onto the green, without hitting it 10 feet by the hole?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 5:59 AM

http://wgt.com/forums/p/7840/49253.aspx   All you ever wanted to know written by an experienced player here, not WGT.

Basically, quit trying to baby feel type shots like this. Learn the flop shot and read the article.

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:16 AM

I recently discovered that chipping with an 8 iron works quite well when in the rough just off the green

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 2:37 AM

What I tend to do on almost all shots around the green now is use my 64 wedge with full backspin and a full shot rather than a chip or pitch

It's a very personal thing and others will of course give other advice.  That is just the way I do it as I fell confident doing it

Try all the methods you can think of until you find one that you are confident with.  I personally had no confidence chipping, pitching or flopping with anything as I could never seem to get my distances right but with the 64 on full backspin the ball isn't going to go too far after it lands unless you are landing on a steep slope and in my games it was always the roll or lack of it that killed me around the green so now I try and drop it fairly close and for me it works

Sorry about using the perennial word, but practice, practice all the shots till you are comfortable, and of course enjoy

Mick

• gishdrums
    19 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:22 AM

micklen:

What I tend to do on almost all shots around the green now is use my 64 wedge with full backspin and a full shot rather than a chip or pitch

My approach exactly. I always use "Full" with backspin whether I'm in the sand or the rough around the green and adjust the length of my shot based on the lie % and (to an extent) speed of the green. The Chip and Pitch shots never produced consistent results for me. There's a good chance I wasn't using them appropriately, but I am very content with my shots now.

RSS